1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know that this is a sidetrack of galactic proportions, but if you like comics, here's a link to Schlock Mercenary. It's a webcomic about a galactic mercenary company which is about to hit its nineteenth anniversary (without missing a day). Given that I'm linking to #1, you'll need to be a little patient with undeveloped *cough* pretty bad *cough* art at first. Still funny as hell. If you do get hooked, well... you're going to need a lot more more than twenty minutes in the bathroom.

He had me at "Ommmminous Hummmmm".

Monday 12 June 2000

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Anybody else looking forward to The Boys on Amazon Prime?

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Is this Amazon's response to HBO's Watchmen?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which was announced first. From what I've seen in the trailers and heard about the comics, The Boys might be even nastier.

5. Severian

HBO announced Watchmen first.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

am I the only one that liked the Watchmen movie? It wasn't great but it was good. I knew noting about the comics, my only introduction was the movie.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So, since Kevin Feige said they've been trying to get Keanu Reeves into the MCU, who do you think he should play? I'm not a big fan of his (he's not a strong actor), but I could see him fitting as a villain more than a hero. Maybe Druig in the Eternals movie, or Kraven the Hunter in the third Spider-Man movie if they go that route (I really want them to do a Kraven story). Kang the Conqueror could be another interesting choice.

8. Severian

No, you're not the only one. Plenty of other people, including myself, enjoyed the film.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The twist turns out to be Ted Theodore Logan had the mother of all heel turns.

Getting serious, though, I read somewhere that they might be setting up Kang as the Big Bad for the next decade of the MCU. Keanu could be a great one-off villain, like Michael Keaton was, but I'm not sure he's the guy they'd spend the next 10 years building toward. Figure they'd stick with their pattern of trying to lock in up and comers at a discounted rate rather than paying a premium for someone as established and older like Keanu for a recurring role like that.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I saw that somewhere, too, and I don't see Reeves filling that kind of role. But they've used lots of established stars as villains (Michael Keaton, Josh Brolin, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Eccleston, Mickey Rourke, Jude Law, Tim Roth, Andy Serkis, Jeff Bridges, Kurt Russell, Robert Redford, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Michael B. Jordan). Most of those are one-and-done roles, maybe two movies, but they've set Keaton up for more appearances, and Brolin had "No Country for Old Men" behind him when he was cast as Thanos.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

WB/DC really missed the boat, after the death of Heath Ledger, the wrapup of the Dark Knight series, and the decision to cast an older, world-weary Batman in Affleck, in not casting Keaton as the Joker, with instructions to make him "Beetlejuice on steroids."

Think of a showdown scene between Batman and the Joker, in some deserted amusement park, etc etc, and Batman says, "What the fuck is it with you, man? How did you turn into a monster like this?" And the Joker screeches and giggles, "Shit, I could have turned into a monster like YOU."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

No, I enjoyed it. I had read that a lot of the criticism of the movie was from fans of the graphic novel, and I never read it, so I went in fresh with no preconceived notions. I thought the plot was a good one, with a deep morality play, and I was fascinated by the alternate world that was created (Nixon still president in the 1980s?).

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted