1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Another X-Men on the horizon. This time about one of my favorite arcs - Jean/Phoenix story. But, I'm slightly confused. At the end of Apocalypse it pretty much shows her going full Phoenix, but with this movie I'm guessing they're sticking closer to the comics and having the Phoenix save Jean during their mission. I'm glad they're doing that, but maybe that mission (not the movie) should have happened before Apocalypse?
    I know this series is pretty much all over the place, but just seems weird to do it the way they're doing this. No Mastermind?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It really is just another example of the series being all over the place. What they did in Apocalypse fits the previously-established approach to the Phoenix in The Last Stand, that it was just another aspect of Jean's powers. That does not fit in with what they are doing in Dark Phoenix, which is closer to the storyline in the comics. Of course, we could be reading some things wrong based on the trailer.

My understanding is that Mastermind's role in the comics has been rolled into Jessica Chastain's character in the movie.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ok, I agree with that.
    After watching the trailer again, I started to think Chastain was going to be something similar to what Mastermind's role was.

4. outofplace

Jessica Chastain's Character in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' Is an Amalgam of Different Characters

Director Simon Kinberg said she isn't Mastermind, but she plays a similar role in the way she manipulates Jean. Apparently, she is not from Earth and parts of who she is are taken from multiple characters in the comics.

5. outofplace

I'm not sure if I like the commercial tie-ins with Endgame or not, but this one is interesting if it is considered canon because there is a bit of a spoiler about the fate of one character from Captain Marvel at the end.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Anybody see a new commercial with Gronk? It is him getting up, working out, spiking a football, etc., shot in shadows. At one point he drives past a sign for Foxboro. I didn't notice any product but it went into an Endgame commercial. I was working out, so I wasn't giving my full attention, but it looked like the Gronk bit and Endgame were the same commercial. Did I miss something?

7. outofplace

I chuckled at this, but I'm ready to see the damn thing already.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That is fantastic!

10. outofplace

That is very cool.

Now I really need to avoid the damn internet for another day and a half.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Lord of the Rings. Easy choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted