1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

X-Men Franchise Poised for Shake-Up as Fox’s Marvel Heroes Migrate to Disney

This shaky bit of reporting never makes it clear if there is an actual source or if it is all just speculation, but the article claims that Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool will be the only character not rebooted and recast as the Fox properties are folded back into the MCU.

Though I would still love to see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in an Avengers movie, this is the course of action that makes the most sense financially and in terms of the story. Deadpool has been a big success. The X-Men have met with mixed and declining results and the last Fantastic Four movie was a disaster. Also, I'd love to hear Deadpool riff on the change in one of his fourth-wall breaking rants.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I want to see Deadpool run into Thanos so he can say, "Hey, weren't you Cable?"

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

As someone who religiously read X-Men growing up, I think a break is needed before jumping back in. But, that probably won't happen and hopefully in 3 or so years, a fresh start will mean good things. Can we get Cyclops some proper treatment this time around too?

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. outofplace

You could ask the same question about the comic books for most of the era since Grant Morrison got his hands on the character.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Proper treatment for Cyclops would be leaving him entirely out of the movies. He's a horrible, horrible character, even in the comics.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ok yeah; he's a dick, whines, and is moody. Cheats on Jean, does other stupid shit.

JRoyal likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't read X-Men in years, but didn't they embrace those traits and turn him into something like Magneto Jr.?

8. outofplace

Sort of, yes. The beginning of the end was when Morrison had him cheat on Jean with Emma Frost, though he was always kind of a dick to women.

There is an interesting character in there. The repressed, damaged leader and occasional badass. But to take him from an idealist to a Magneto type was ridiculous.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cyclops was right.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not generally a big fan of the creepy-kid genre, but that looks pretty damn decent.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know someone who could be in position to know who speculates that "End Game" will have a post-credits teaser involving the X-Men, "likely with Wolverine." This person would not say if Wolverine would be Hugh Jackman.

I don't say this lightly and I'd like to think the reputation I've tried to build here at SJ is one that relies on facts, links, and verifiable information. In this particular instance, however, I'm going to simply say that someone I trust is telling me the above could very well be the case, but this individual admits they are far enough removed that they may be "misinformed."

The studios keep these things very tight and my person is in a position where it would be necessary to know where MCU Phase 4 is headed, particularly as it relates to the merging of FOX/Disney properties. Take it for what it's worth, but my person is pumped that the tease at the end of "End Game" is going to keep MCU cranking along with unbelievable new storylines.

I know it all sounds cryptic, so I'm happy to answer any questions in DMs or more private conversations.

12. outofplace

I would actually be a bit disappointed if there wasn't a post-credits scene in Endgame involving one of the characters they just got back from Fox. For pure fan service, Wolverine would be the best option. You could even do it in a way that we wouldn't see the actor. But a villain such as Galactus or Dr. Doom would work, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted