1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I dunno, is there a Thrones thread?

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What if they actually just killed off everybody? I mean, what if they had the dead wipe out all of Westeros?

Or they somehow beat the White Walkers, but Cersei pulls off a massacre that make the Red Wedding and the destruction of the Sept of Baelor look like nice, family-friendly events and has every other significant character killed?

Would that type of ending be dark and interesting or just depressing?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd say dark and depressing, but I'm almost expecting it, at this point. They've spent seven seasons building toward the Jon Snow/Dany power couple as saviors, but as whomever it was said, "if you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

4. outofplace

Wasn't it actually Martin who said that? I'm guessing that even if there is any kind of positive ending, one of those two will die. Maybe the power couple wins, but in the final shot Dany turns on the Starks and has the dragons torch them, leaving her to rule alone.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. outofplace

I just read that Captain Marvel has one scene in the middle of the credits and another at the end. At least one of them is a connection to Endgame.

6. outofplace

I was just thinking of where Captain Marvel would fit into my rankings of MCU movies. It certainly isn't in the top 10, but to be fair, there are really only two that I didn't like. Thor: The Dark World is bad and The Incredible Hulk had its moments, but it's flawed. You can put Iron Man 2 down near the bottom as well.

I'm actually struggling to figure out which others I might put below Captain Marvel. Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron. I like those movies, but they don't stack up with the rest.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I might put Captain Marvel in the Top 15 and I could see an argument for Top 10 if you don't go any higher than, say, 8.
    Thor Dark World
    Iron Man 2
    The Incredible Hulk
    Ultron
    Iron Man 3
    Winter Soldier
    Guardians 2
    I think all rank behind Marvel with the caveat that I haven't seen Homecoming. I think it suffers from the lack of a memorable villain like Thanos or Kill Monger and a certain lack of complexity. I like that it didn't get too full of itself and make things complicated for complicated's sake, but it progressed rather simply.

8. outofplace

You lost me with your inclusion of The Winter Soldier, which is fantastic, but to each his or her own. I would also put Spider-Man: Homecoming ahead of Captain Marvel.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was trying to remember which movies stuck out to me. I think Winter Soldier got caught in the middle of my binging of the MCU. But like you, it isn't that I didn't like it, I just like the others better.

10. outofplace

I just love that it had such a different feel from most of the other MCU movies. For me, it's top five, but I can understand others having a very different take on it.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't yet seen the film, but I do find it interesting that there was an entire online campaign to sink Captain Marvel before it hit theaters because Marvel cast a woman and it "betrayed the character" (who had been portrayed as a woman in some of the comics since the 1960s).

Meanwhile, there was a collective shrug at Aquaman — the blond, clean-cut, blue-eyed, Boy Scout of the Seas — being portrayed by a brunette, long-haired, bearded, tattooed, hard-drinking, swearing Hawaiian (which, BTW, was awesome casting for what turned into a lousy movie).

Draft saved Draft deleted