1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Venom is going to be the worst Marvel movie of them all. Although technically its Sony.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

"Elektra" will be tough to beat for that dishonor.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never watched the whole thing, but is it really worse than the Ghost Rider sequel, the Fantastic Four reboot or Howard the Duck?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The first Ghost Rider movie stunk on ice, too.
    So did the FF and FF2. Both terrible.
    And the two Hulk movies.
    And the Wolverine origin movie, and the Wolverine in Japan movie.

5. outofplace

The first Ghost Rider was bad, but the sequel was even worse.

I didn't mind Incredible Hulk, but the Ang Lee mess really was awful.

The first two Fantastic Four movies were not great, but they aren't nearly as bad as the reboot, which is right there with Elektra as the worst Marvel movie pending Venom.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Howard the Duck is fucking awesome.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What's the cutoff for inclusion on bad Marvel movies?
    The 1994 version of Fantastic Four, Reb Brown, Dolph Lundgren and David Hasselhoff would all like to know.

8. outofplace

Good point. I'm not sure the 1994 version of Fantastic Four should count because it wasn't actually meant to be released at all. All three Punisher movies are pretty bad. The Captain America with Reb Brown was also truly awful.

I've heard people refer to the first X-Men movie as the start of the modern era of movies based on Marvel comics. Maybe it would make more sense to use that as the line, which would cut off the ones you mentioned and Howard the Duck.

Batman likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's about right, although I'd back it up two years to 1998 and Blade. X-Men was the first blockbuster, but Blade was really the first successful Marvel movie and helped them move away from the B-level and TV movie dreck they'd produced to that point.

10. outofplace

That also puts it at 20 years and Blade was pretty good. So we could say that Venom looks like a contender for the worst Marvel movie in the post-Blade era. I would still list Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Elektra, and Fan4stic Four (the reboot) as top contenders. X-Men Origins: Wolverine earned much of the criticism it gets, especially for the horrible version of Deadpool, but that movie wasn't without merit. I hated the way they made the character move, but I actually liked Liev Schreiber's performance as Sabertooth and the opening montage was excellent. And as bad as Deadpool was with his mouth stitched closed, Ryan Reynolds was actually pretty good in the early part of the movie.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I almost put the FF reboot as the worst, and I had totally forgotten the horrible GR sequel. Blocked it from my memory probably. Howard the Duck was bad, but I give it points for the nostalgia factor. The only thing Elektra had going for it was Jennifer Garner in the Elektra costume.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Any love ... er hate ... for Ben Affleck's Dare Devil?

Draft saved Draft deleted