1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just finished The Punisher on Netflix. It had some of the same issues with pacing as the other Marvel series on Netflix, but it was still solid and entertaining. Bernthal is fantastic as Frank Castle and Ebon Moss-Bachrach works well as Micro.

It does tie into what we saw in Season 2 of Daredevil, but it is easy enough to understand what is going on if you haven't watched that. The series is barely connected to the MCU at all, though Karen Page plays a part. That makes for a very grounded show, also the bloodiest yet in the MCU.

I still prefer Punisher when he is more deeply connected to the superhero world, such as his interactions with Daredevil, and this version of the character is a departure from the comics in many ways. Definitely worth a watch, but not what you might expect from a comic book show.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

And here is the trailer. Happy to finally see one, though I think the leaked one that was out months ago was better.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Can't believe there isn't more chatter about Infinity War! This trailer delivered and holy shit, I cannot fricken wait.

EDIT: OK, had to go and find the leaked D23 trailer - that was pretty freaking cool. God damn.

5. outofplace

It's tough to say because the quality of the video in the leaked D23 trailer is so bad, but I thought that one was better. I know some people are making fun of the look of Thanos, but overall, everything I've seen so far has me more excited to see this.

6. outofplace

Teaser for Season 2 of Jessica Jones, which drops March 18, 2018. David Tennant will return as Killgrave. That may seem odd if you saw Season 1, but I've read some explanations of how it will work that I don't completely hate.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

So .... any new Star Wars movies coming out soon?

8. outofplace

Got my tickets for Sunday afternoon, with plenty of time to get home for Patriots at Steelers.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Bought my tickets October 10 for Saturday. Super stoked. I'm noticing the Force Awakens spoilers thread is getting new comments. I'm avoiding it like the plague

10. outofplace

Good idea. Somebody already posted a plot summary they read online. Sounds like much of it was bogus, but still, best to avoid entirely.

I've read some mild spoilers in reviews, though most of them focus on it being a fun ride and Mark Hamill turning in a great performance. As a fan of Star Wars and Batman: The Animated Series, I certainly enjoy much of Hamill's work, but I've never though of him as a great actor, but I sure as hell hope the set-up for Luke heading into this one pays off big.

Count me among the fans who was disappointed we didn't get to see the original cast all together even for a moment in Force Awakens, especially no Luke and Han reunion. I do hope we see the Skywalker siblings get a moment in this one. I've heard rumors both ways, so I have no idea if it will happen.

11. outofplace

Disney Makes $52.4 Billion Deal for 21st Century Fox in Big Bet on Streaming

Not much talk about this here yet, but Disney is saying it's acquisition most of 21st Century Fox is a done deal. Fox News, Fox Network and FS1 are not part of the deal, but the movie and television properties are.

Apparently, this will mean a lot of lost jobs as those companies are folded into Disney, which sucks. Of course, it is also a source of excitement in the geek crowd because this means the X-Men and Fantastic Four can now be part of the MCU. It is early in the process to see how that would work and it sounds like they are going ahead with planned for X-Men: Dark Phoenix, X-Force, Deadpool 2 and New Mutants movies. It is a bit late for those properties to have an impact on Avengers: Infinity War, but Marvel Studios execs have talked about a drastic reshaping of the MCU after Avengers 4.

I'm guessing this will be at least a soft reboot of the X-Men movie universe and the MCU, certainly a perfect excuse to cast a new Wolverine. Given the nature of the Infinity Gauntlet, reshaping reality to make all the pieces fit could actually make a semblance of story sense. Hugh Jackman had said he might consider returning for an Avengers movie, but apparently has changed his mind. Chris Evans joked about a Captain America/Human Torch buddy flick. I don't really care about the FF in the MCU, but Dr. Doom done right? Yes, please.

12. outofplace

Chris Evans Just Hinted At A Juicy Avengers: Infinity War Theory While Signing An Autograph

Chris Evans has been having fun with fans, hinting that his character will be called Nomad in Avengers: Infinity War. Nomad is an identity Steve Rodgers used during a time when he gave up the shield in the comics.

This seems like mostly a nod to fans of the comics, just like images of Jeremy Renner in what looks like a Ronin costume. Ronin is an identity Clint Barton briefly used before becoming Hawkeye again.

Draft saved Draft deleted