1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think he may lose some powers (flight and thunder stuff), but they show him throwing down with the Hulk sans Mjolnir. The hammer is just a portion of Thor's powers. His strength and durability are mostly his Asgardian heritage. I wouldn't be too worried about him coming across as mortal.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is an ongoing thing with Superman. He is so powerful, that writers often feel they have to take some of that away to make him interesting.

As much as I liked Spider-Man 2, the failing powers were an annoying subplot. The only good part of it was saving the little girl from the fire without his powers. Good Spider-Man stories have always been as much about the character's goodness and willingness to sacrifice for others as they were about the powers he got from a radioactive spider.

I see your point about Thor. We already saw a mortal Thor in the fist movie. I'm not sure we need to see it again, but it seems we will.

I had also never seen that comment by Renner, but I see his point.

3. outofplace

Josh Brolin cast as Cable in 'Deadpool 2'

Josh Brolin will play Cable in Deadpool 2. Both characters are also expected to appear in an upcoming X-Force movie. I saw one report that has Brolin signing a four-picture deal to play Cable.

This will be the fifth comic-inspired character played by Brolin, who also appears as Thanos in the MCU. (Barely, given how little we've actually seen of the character so far.) He also played the title role in a crappy Jonah Hex movie, took on the role of Dwight in the crappy Sin City sequel and portrayed a young Agent K in Men in Black 3, which I heard was crap but never saw. (Notice a theme here?)

Not an inspiring choice, but I think Brolin can play the tough-guy straight man required for the role. Thanos also has a bit of history with Deadpool in the comics, so hopefully they can work a little Thanos-related humor into Deadpool 2.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Um, I'd say it's practically a certainty. :D

BTW, the Golden Girls condom is genius.

5. outofplace

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it just goes with the style of the film as being somewhat irreverent, campy and over-the-top. Seems like it would work better with Deadpool 2, but whatevs. Hopefully they're fun (and I assume they'll be sprinkled throughout the end credits, not just consecutively after the credits have rolled?).

8. outofplace

I would think so, too, and probably a mix of silly stuff and things that actually relate to upcoming movies.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. outofplace

Looking forward to seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel Saturday. The reviews I've seen are mixed. I'm expecting entertaining, but something less than the original.

Also, if what I heard about Stan Lee's appearance is correct, I like the idea.

Elsewhere in the MCU, full trailer for Defenders.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is how I like my Defenders:

[​IMG]

I had that one when I was a kid.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Often-overlooked Thor fact: He can't fly. He throws his hammer and it pulls him around.

12. outofplace

That's because it has been drawn and otherwise depicted inconsistently over the years. He has shown the ability to change direction (at least in the comics and cartoons), which he wouldn't be able to do if he was just throwing the hammer and letting it pull him along.

Draft saved Draft deleted