1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

I heard about that, but I've never watched the show regularly. I do know a good bit about the New Mutants character she would be playing and I can see it as a fit beyond the obvious Direwolves to werewolves connection.

4. outofplace

Iron Fist: What the Critics Are Saying

Marvel's fourth Netflix series, Iron Fist, drops Friday and the reviews are quite shitty.

I'm sure I'll still give it a shot, but this is certainly disappointing to read. Not a great trend if a crappy Iron Fist follows a decent but flawed Luke Cage.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

BTW, I finished off Season 1 of Daredevil a few weeks ago and now I get what you mean about Fisk becoming Kingpin. The story of the Good Samaritan was so well played and, finally, I thought D'Onofrio's performance brought a ton of energy to the screen. I now see that the character has the potential to be what I've wanted him to be.

Saw the first episode of Season 2, as well, and I'm looking forward to more of John Bernthal as the Punisher.

Once I finish catching up on Daredevil, I'll move to Luke Cage.

6. outofplace

Bernthal is fantastic as the Punisher, easily the best version of the character I've seen. As I understand it, Marvel was not planning to give the character his own series, but they had announced one was coming within a week or two of Daredevil Season 2 being released.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. outofplace

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Jessica Jones is next. Sets up Luke Cage as a character for his series. But it took about halfway theough before I could get into it. Luke Cage was pretty good from the start but struggled later in the season.

I can't wait for Bernthal to do a Punisher series. I loved his time in DD2.

9. outofplace

Pacing has been a problem for all of the Marvel Netflix series. I agree with you that it is better to watch Jessica Jones first, then Luke Cage. It was the better season of the two, anyway.

Berenthal's Punisher is the only reason the quality of these shows hasn't consistently gone down. He was the reason I liked the second season of Daredevil better than the first. Both were very good, as was Jessica Jones. Luke Cage was decent, if a little disappointing. It was just too drawn out. They seemed to have enough for eight very good episodes, but stretched it all to 13.

Makes me hope the reviews for Iron Fist are wrong, or the trend would get worse. Most importantly, I hope they don't fuck up Defenders.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I saw the first episode of Jessica Jones and didn't get into it. I hadn't heard of the character before the series was introduced and the first episode didn't do much to make want to learn about her. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The best part about Jessica Jones, to me, was the villain. He was worth the hours I spent watching it. If you are looking for an excuse to give it another try, I would recommend at least until you know more about Kilgrave.

I wouldn't say you need to watch Jessica Jones before Luke Cage, although chronologically that is how it is supposed to work. I don't remember Luke Cage referencing his brief stay on the other show much.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

David Tennant needs to be in more things. He was the best (new) Doctor and he kicked ass as Kilgrave in Jessica Jones. I tried to watch Broadchurch because he was in that, but just couldn't do it. I want to see him do something more.

Draft saved Draft deleted