1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Figured this was as good a place as any to posit this. Does the father gorilla from the new kids' movie "Sing" remind anyone else of King Gorilla from The Venture Bros.?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help it, but...

They all look alike

Batman likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Almost done with Season 1 and I'm definitely not a fan of D'Onofrio's portrayal of Fisk. His halting speech and utter lack of confidence simply don't work for someone of Kingpin's stature in the comics. There is absolutely nothing fearsome about this character.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess we see him very differently. Also, like Daredevil, the character is still evolving into what we've seen in the comics.

5. bigpern23

Fair enough. I kind of figured that 11 episodes in, he is who he is. Even his violence, extreme as it may be, is more petulant than malevolent. I was coming here to type that Wesley is a far more compelling villain and then he goes and gets himself killed.

6. outofplace

I always looked at it as the origins of both characters. It is tough to get into it further without approaching spoilers as you are still on Season 1 and I have finished Season 2.

7. bigpern23

No worries. I'm invested in the show. I'll stick with it. I thought Fisk was pretty much already Kingpin where the story picked up.

8. outofplace

This just strikes me with how people have different Netflix viewing habits. I don't think I've taken more than two weeks to get through any Netflix show I liked. I watched Luke Cage in a week and I didn't even like it that much, at least not compared to the other Marvel series. Both seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones were all much better.

9. bigpern23

For me, it's a matter of finding enough spare time to watch. My wife couldn't get into the show, so I need to find times when neither she nor the kids are around to watch. I'm also not someone who watches half an episode, so I need a full hour to myself. I almost never get more than two hours to myself at a given time when I don't have other things I need to be doing, so binge watching is almost impossible.

Also, I'm in the same boat with The Walking Dead, and that show usually gets priority over Daredevil.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Are gorillas always in jail...because they are...black?

11. bigpern23

It's an economic issue. Not much work in the lowlands, which leads to territorial behavior and inevitably lands them in jail when they assault another alpha.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, in King Gorilla's case it was because of his antics on an episode of "The Surreal Life."

Draft saved Draft deleted