1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think at this point there has to be a bet at the studio to see just how much of a shit movie they can produce and still have it make money. There's a lot of "hold my beer" going on with Transformers.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved the first one, and they've gotten progressively worse since. Revenge of the Fallen was the only other in the series that was remotely passable, and that had some gaping holes (like the desert out behind the Smithsonian). I barely made it through the first Wahlberg flick.

That said, this trailer is pretty awesome (with the exception of Wahlberg). The thing that gives you hope for this one is that Orci and Kurtzman are back on board after ceding the last two films to Ehren Krugman (who wrote two films I loved - Arlington Road and The Ring - but doesn't have much other quality material to his credit).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I also had a hard time making it through Age of Extinction. I didn't watch it in one sitting and wished I hadn't bothered at all by the end.

Based on the trailer, it looks like they are building off the Unicron storyline in the original comics and the old cartoons. That could be decent, but I will be waiting for it to hit Redbox, Netflix or cable.

4. outofplace

I also posted this on the Random Videos thread, but given the connection to Star Wars, I think it belongs here as well.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last time Unicron made it to the big screen, it killed Orson Welles.
    So, if you've got a death pool going, maybe think about taking Anthony Hopkins as a fourth-round sleeper pick.

6. outofplace

The first trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming. As we saw in Civil War, this is a younger Peter Parker. Like much of the MCU, the Ultimate Marvel line is a major influence. The friend in the trailer seems a lot like Ganke, the friend and confidant of the younger Spider-Man, Miles Morales. Also, Aunt May was portrayed as younger and stronger in Ultimate Marvel. Marisa Tomei's version certainly isn't the fragile Aunt May of the traditional comic or the Sam Raimi movies.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rosemary Harris was a pretty feisty Aunt May in the Raimi movies, going as far as to whack Doc Ock in the goggles with her umbrella in SM2.

Certainly not the wheezing old death's-door biddy of the old-time comics.

8. outofplace

True, but she was still played as fairly fragile. Green Goblin pretty much just scared her into the hospital. And she certainly wasn't going to have Tony Stark flirting with her.

9. outofplace

No, That's Not Ganke In The Spider-Man: Homecoming Trailer

According to Comic Book Resources, Peter Parker's friend in the Spider-Man trailer is not Ganke, he is Ned Leeds. Except he looks like Ganke and seems to have a similar relationship with Peter. Ned Leeds was a reporter at the Daily Bugle, older than Peter, who later became one of the Hobgoblins. (I think the second one.) Just odd.

10. I'm excited about this one.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow. So many good feelings.

12. outofplace

I also think it looks promising. So far, I like what I've seen of Holland in the role. I think Keaton can make a good Vulture. I'm not so sure about some of the supporting cast decisions, but that can easily be put aside if they get Peter Parker right.

Draft saved Draft deleted