1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Finally got cable again, so have been catching up with it. Good show, a nice re-imagining of the gloriously cheesy old show. But I could do without the love triangles.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Re: Battlestar Galactica . . . Anyone else watch it?

I still have my Battlestar Galactica pillowcases somewhere. I've gotta dig those up.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No. Is this related to Star Trek somehow?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wow, tough crowd.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This is one of my favorite shows. This past 1/2 season hasn't been as good as the first two, IMO.
    I was really surprised how good the show is done. Most of the stuff on SciFi is drek.
    I didn't mind the love triangle at first, but it is starting to get on my nerves now - as is Baltar (is he or isn't he a Cyclon, etc.)

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Piotr, I've tried to starting thread (two I think) on this show before, but they went nowhere. Thanks for bringing it up again. The love triangle stuff is getting on my nerves, too, but it is still my favorite show.

A few highlights if you don't want to watch them all while catching up:

If you can find it, go back and watch the miniseries/pilot. The first episode after that, 33, is amazing. The series hasn't kept up that level of intensity, but that was when you could tell this would be very different from the original series.

There is also an episode, I think in season two, with Cylon Centurions loose on the Galactica. Plays out like a horror film. Demonstrates how impressive this show can be visually.

The episodes from this season about escaping New Caprica were excellent, too.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A couple of months ago, one of our photogs who has turned into a good friend of mine tried to date this guy. He didn't seem like that bad of a guy for someone who was way more into "bulking up" than any college or pro athlete should be (which I'm guessing 90 percent of the time means he was beaten up every day in middle school and/or isn't packing much heat underneath his Hanes). For their first "movie at someone's place" date, he brought over Battlestar Galactica. Needless to say, he didn't get any that night, and she called me cracking up as soon as she sent him home. They didn't date that much longer.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She missed out. :)

Seriously, I'm all for trying to turn somebody on to something you enjoy. But to break out the Sci-Fi that early with a woman, unless you are absolutely certain she likes that sort of thing, is just flat-out dumb.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He isn't.

The end of the second season was just a train wreck. Since then, they've managed to get back to (mostly) what the re-imagined premise was supposed to be about . . . and it appears that they've resolved the love triangle for the moment.

I have a candidate for one of the final five who is definitely not Baltar.

OOP ... No way could they match the intensity of 33 again.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Baltar looked a lot like Jesus in this last episode, with the long hair and beard going.
    I think that Madame President is a Cylon. Her desire to protect the baby and she was sleeping with the Colonial President, but maybe it was spying on. She was the one high enough up on the food chain to be the one left in-charge after everyone else died. Her cancer "cure."
    The visions she was getting when she was still sick.
    All added it up, it seems a little odd.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

I could care less about the show, but last night the chick who is in playboy this month was on Loveline. Had I not been listening, I would have never known about the show.

12. statrat

statrat Member

Your friend got a date with JDV!?! She should consider herself a lucky lady!

Draft saved Draft deleted