1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL, CCWS) racing thread

Some breaking news from my favorite Indiana paper.

Future of USGP still undecided

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Golden had it up about an hour before I saw it hit the wires. Good job by him.

Though he's still a douche :D

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I heard he was an f'n stud.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I heard his wife's the brains in the household.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You're just envious of her. You wanna taste the nectar of that golden fruit, don't lie. :D

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the truth.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Not sure if this fits in this thread, but 24 Hours of LeMans is live on Speed all night. For you true nightowls.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And finished under caution in a driving rainstorm.

The announcers said the entire country was under caution in a driving rainstorm, for that matter.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's amazing that the last Le Mans update yesterday provided by AP was at about 3:30 p.m. ET.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Which was 9:30 p.m. CEST, so probably the last update of the night.

Did anybody else catch the Outlaws race on ESPN2 this morning?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was walking out of the F1 paddock today to do an interview when Lewis Hamilton was walking in. He looked hungover ...

I kid.

But I don't think he's the man to beat today because I think he's on a lighter fuel load. I think Alonso breaks his Indy bad streak.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Watching the Iowa IRL race today ... did someone decide the 1992 Indy 500 was worth reliving?

Wheldon & Scheckter - crash with Danny looping the car on cold tires in T2 of the first lap.
    Castroneves loops the car coming out of the pits on the backstretch.
    Kanaan loses it, collecting Simmons. On the ensuing restart, Danica decides to bob & weave her way to try to block two Vision cars, instead, a 4-wide wreck takes out half the field (Danica, Hornish, Foyt IV, Matsuura ... Castroneves & Carpenter were also involved and Sharp just barely survived).

And, of course, the close nose-to-tail finish between Franchitti & Marco Andretti that could make everyone forget how lousy the rest of the race was. However, some of the "other" teams -- Scott Sharp (RLR), Buddy Rice (DRR), Darren Manning (Foyt), Ed Carpenter (Vision), Sarah Fisher (DRR) -- all end up in the Top 10 because of the carnage. And Dixon/Wheldon get themselves something like seven extra positions by fixing the car and completing laps when he was -80.

Franchitti is now a full race (51 points) ahead of the rest of the field in the IRL standings.
    --
    Speaking of carnage, the CCWS Cleveland GP, which IMO is the most (only?) interesting race on the CC schedule, Paul Tracy wipes out Junqueira in Turn 1, then goes on to win the race on pit strategy. A fitting PT win.

There are three things that are sure in life -- death, taxes and Paul Tracy collecting someone in the first bend at Burke Lakefront Airport.

Draft saved Draft deleted