1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL, CCWS) racing thread

I understand he's been around all year. And he hasn't had a finish lower than third, from what I hear. But he really didn't have any hype coming in.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think it's next week. They do both races in one big swing . . .

Hamilton's quite the up-and-comer. Young, cute and of mixed race. I saw a couple stories on him before the season started.

And he had a good bit of hype coming in.

I don't think Schumacher left that a huge vacuum. Alonso was the better driver the last couple years.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, I thought I followed F-1 a bit, but you know more than I do, SC. What else is new?

You're right, Alonso was the better driver, but he also left what many considered a better ride at Renault. Of course, McLaren seems to have a more reliable car this year, not one that nukes itself every week like it did to Raikkonen and JPM in '06.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, Indy is on Fox next weekend. Fox is doing 4 races in a row.

Hamilton destroyed the competition in GP2 last season. That's the main feeder series for F1. He's unbelievably poised and fast.

As for the Schumacher void... yes, there is some, because even though Alonso was faster the last two seasons Schumacher was still the dominant personality. But at the same time, from a competitive standpoint SC is right -- Alonso was the driver to beat the last two years, not Michael.

(The void will be particularly big next weekend -- I've been to every USGP since 2003 and Schumacher won every one of them. I'm looking forward to seeing someone else with it this weekend.)

By the way, great race today. And I'm amazed to hear Kubica only has a broken leg.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Without question. And Alonso had the worst day I've ever seen him have.

That race was damn entertaining. Can't wait to go to Indy this week.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Am I the only person paying attention to the Champ Car race?

7. PCLoadLetter

I still can't believe Sato passed Alonso near the end. Alonso was a mess today. Hell of a performance for the Super Aguri, though.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yes. :D

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Without question.

That said, who won in Portland (which is one of the few actual racetracks CC runs on)?

This thread came within three-tenths of a second of exploding last night, thanks to the IRL, but Danica Patrick didn't have enough car to make a run on Sam Hornish. Tony Kanaan nearly did, but may have made his move on Sam just a hair early, couldn't complete it, and ended up finishing second by .07. Big wreck on Lap 200 took out Wheldon, Dixon, Castroneves and had Ed Carpenter tell the audience he was Sofa King unhappy with Dixon running him over (meanwhile, Dixon fired back at Carpenter for checking up when A.J. IV lost a tire right in front of him, which caused the chain reaction). Tony Kanaan barely missed it, slicing through the first wave of the melee and going on to finish 2nd.

10. PCLoadLetter

Kanaan was leading a charmed life last night. I couldn't believe he got through that wreck untouched.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ed Carpenter ripping another driver's skills or lack thereof? That's running it on rich.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The Canadian GP was one of the best F1 races I've seen in a while. Bernie couldn't have planned it better to have the exposure on FOX. I'm looking forward to Indy this week.
    - Kubica's crash was horrifying live, I'm amazed he came out of it relatively unharmed. The safety cell in an F1 car is incredible.
    - What a drive by Hamilton, not a wheel wrong all day, compared to Alonso who botched the first turn complex 4 times, and got passed by Sato! It looks as though Alonso is starting to crack a bit from the pressure by Hamilton. Not quite the same as having Fisichella as your competition.
    - What the hell were Fisichella and Massa thinking in running the red light at the end of the pit lane? That's an absolute no no in F1, and they both did it at the same time. Astonishing lack of concentration. On TV I thought Kubica must have stalled when they both went around him. For a Ferrari to get black flagged is unbelievable. I'd like to know the last time that happened.
    - Great job by Heidfeld and Wurz. Nice to see some new faces on the podium. It must have felt great for Sir Frank to be back up there. Hopefully Williams can keep things going.
    - Too funny to see the Super Aguri pull into the pits and NONE of the mechanics are ready. Isn't anyone paying attention?
    - Rosberg and Trulli spinning together at the same corner. Again a loss of concentration, not too surprising form Trulli (his race day performance is always lacking), but I thought more of Rosberg.

All in all a fantastic race. Give us more access to the team radio transmissions, Coulthard's response about how the car feels was classic. (No speed, no brakes, no traction, other than that it's fine)

Draft saved Draft deleted