1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

My favorite sports talk station in Minnesota does a bit every spring called the "Preposterous Statement Tournament." This would be a high seed in the motorsports PST if such a thing existed.

2muchcoffeeman, garrow and maumann like this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh, just about any coach in any pro sport would say the same about his star player.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Lance is in a tough spot.

He's actually a pretty good driver. I'd rank him somewhere around 10 - 15 of the current 20.

Daddy's money meant he moved to F1 far sooner than he deserved to and the fact that he drives for his dad's team certainly makes it look like he doesn't belong. He's good enough to be there on his own.

(I would not call him "one of the most gifted drivers," but I don't work for Lawrence Stroll.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Probably more races on NBC than NASCAR.

maumann likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

IndyCar annually does a lousy job of capitalizing on its post-Indy 500 bump. Next year as usual they go to Belle Isle again after Indy and it's not on NBC (cue people kvetching about looking for USA Network), and for a month after that there's just one race.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Running just the one race at Texas before the 500 rather than a twin weekend. But yeah, what's with two weekends open in June? It's not an Olympic year.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A rabbit just got taken out at Laguna Seca. Love that track.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

More passing in the Corkscrew today than I've seen in some Brickyard 400s. The elevation changes at Laguna Seca just don't translate to TV. You really have to walk the infield to appreciate how steep that drop really is. And RIP, Foo Foo. Picked a bad time to go for a hop.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The other odd thing was doing a live cut-in promoting the E! network's pre-Emmy red carpet show with the red carpet guy saying "You'll get all glamour, all the fashion...." I'm sure there was HUGE crossover from the IndyCar race to the red carpet.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Andretti Autosport has a news conference scheduled at 12:45 p.m. PDT in Long Beach to announce something … probably that Romain Grosjean will be driving its No. 28 car next season.

Andretti Autosport sent out a press release announcing that Romain Grosjean will be driving its No. 28 car next season at 12:45 p.m. EDT.

Time zones, man.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Lando on pole in Sochi. He’s having an excellent season for someone not behind the wheel of a Mercedes or Red Bull.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted