1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have found that drivers dying avoidably really doesn’t enhance my enjoyment of the sport. At all.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Verstappen's conduct before and after running Hamilton over is exactly why I don't like him. Entitlement complex a mile wide.

Also, Daniel Ricciardo is like the dictionary definition of the Aussie term 'larrikin,' so much so that I can't decide if off-track Danny Ric would be the best or worst person to know in real life. Like, I could totally see that persona being impossible after a while, but I bet the plane ride back from Italy was fun.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Max just walking away from the wreck without checking to see if Lewis was OK was a really bad look.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I heard on a podcast that at that time Hamilton was revving the tires trying to get out from under the car.

Max should have backed out IMHO because he didn’t have the window.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I thought the same after watching the crash a few times.

He gets out, looks and keeps going. Not an iota of attempt to check or help.

The announcers said Hamilton was moving and had, I guess, briefly attempted to back his vehicle out. Obviously wasn't going anywhere. But he was moving around. My take then was perhaps Max saw him moving and figured he was OK, so he didn't check.

Still a terrible thing to do, IMO. Even if you don't get along with a guy, and I know emotions were sky high at that point, have the freaking compassion to at least check on the guy to make sure. Walk over. Take a look, offer to help, at least something.

I thought Hamilton had the spot in the turn, too. Max should've backed out.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Stewards agree and gave Max a (relatively meaningless) 3-position grid penalty for next week.

SixToe likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I mean, it could be mostly because next up is Sochi, an awful circuit with no overtaking. Mostly comes down to how the Mercs do in qualifying. Also, though I think the Sprint Qualifying was interesting, I think they saw the unintended consequences after Alpha Tauri didn't really have enough time to repair either of their cars after shunts on Saturday.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Would love to hear an F1 announcer yell "DEBRIS IN TURN FOUR! CAUTION IS OUT!" like in NASCAR. They'd lose their minds. LOL

Or hear a driver say, "Hey, rubbin's racin' and we'll settle it behind the podium."

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I just went to an English to Dutch translation app to describe Max's move and it's pronounced "chroom hoorn." Honest to God, I kid you not. I had no idea Darrell Waltrip was Dutch.

I cannot stop laughing.

At least in French, it's using the old "corne chromée."

franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

“My billionaire boss’s son is one of the most talented drivers in Formula 1.”

Seems legit.

UPChip, TigerVols and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just another travel team parent. [/crossthread]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

F1 might be the ultimate travel team.

And I've lived in Canada my whole life and until Lance made the grid I'd never heard of the old man who is one of the wealthiest people in the country.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted