1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the new ownership can bring Williams off the scrap heap. I’m skeptical about a capital group doing that, but maybe if they throw enough money at it, they can.

I liked Claire Williams in her limited screen time on F1: Drive to Survive. She seems capable and smart, though obviously she/they didn’t get much in the way of results the last few years.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was bound to happen soon and was obviously inevitable, but losing Frank Williams from that team is a terribly sad thing for the sport.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I had a little bang in my stomach reading 2MCM's OP.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

That might’ve been the most unexpected podium in F1 history.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That was just a wonderful race today. Bummer there were no fans to hear the Italian national anthem on the podium this time around.

The Renault-Alpine move seems a little odd to me, but whatever. It's their money. They can brand it however they want.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Expected: Ferrari to be a disaster ... has folks in Maranello, um, seeing red.
    Unexpected: Valteri Bottas to seriously struggle.
    Max Verstappen to DNF for mechanical issues
    Mercedes to try and pit Lewis Hamilton and have to go to the back of the grid for it after having Grand Prix well in hand

Wonder what the odds were for Pierre Gasly to win - and for that trifecta on the podium.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. bigpern23

Finally got to the DVR and that was a pretty wild race. Happy for Albon to finally get a podium, but I was rooting for Riccardo to hold him off. That last restart probably cost him P3.

12. bigpern23

Hamilton damn near wound up with P15 during qualifying and instead wound up on pole. Helluva drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted