1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Well, they do just often call it "the 500 mile race," so whatever modifier/sponsorship is covered.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

CNN with the huge swing and a miss.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  3. Driftwood

OK, the lack of a crowd is a buzz kill here, maybe more so than any race in any series I've watched since they came back.

4. Driftwood

Indy starts/restarts are such a joke. Dixon was passing the pole sitter before they even got to the start/finish line, and the field is stretched out back to turn 3.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't remember the last time the start resembled 11 rows of 3. I'm always unimpressed.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The travel agency advertising how cheap international travel is for Americans right now on the IMS radio broadcast is completely unclear on the concept this year.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That pit road attenuator was going to be a major fix, but still ... how do you not red flag that? Highly disappointing.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow. That was a Michael Waltrip-at-Brisol hit for Pigot.

Damn it, I had the top 5 in order at Lap 100. But still wound up with Sato, Dixon and Newgarden, plus O'Ward in sixth. Good run for Rahal because that car seemed awful on Friday.

Man, I feel for Rossi. Sato chopped him all race and then he's the one who gets the pit road penalty.

And yeah, they should have immediately red flagged and "could have" fixed it with two laps to go, but I've never seen IndyCar not have a full caution lap to green, which would have been Lap 199.

Sucks.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How do we know how long that attenuator repair would have taken? Would it have been as safe as it was when Pigot hit it?

I think they talked about that, the number of laps remaining and such before ending under yellow. Which is the way it happened much more frequently in the more distant past. NASCAR has red-flagged entirely too many races, IMO, in the name of manufacturing end-of-race excitement.

Flame away ... I'm kind of expecting it.

10. Driftwood

That was less than satisfying.

11. Driftwood

I agree on NASCAR. I've said it a hundred times, race the advertised distance. In this case, it seemed they paused, restarted, then finished under caution anyway. The hit the motherlode of how to not end a race.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think they were looking at that repair and didn't want to wait 90 minutes to have tow or three laps under green.

Draft saved Draft deleted