1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

An Andretti on the pole for the first time in 33 years. Man, the crowd would have gone absolutely ape over how close that was. Uncle John must have given the 98 just enough of a push down the straight on that last lap to make the difference.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Too bad for LeClerc that his engine misfired through the chicane. He was running an entertaining race trying to overtake Sainz, who for his part did an excellent job defending. That was a fun battle to watch. Some decent action in the midfield but, again, relatively boring at the top. Bottas did a nice job recovering from that terrible start, but it was disappointing he didn't make any kind of a run at Max after getting onto the softs with 16 laps to go.

Vettel actually ran pretty well today, though he sounds like he's just about had enough of this Ferrari team.

garrow likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ferrari is such a glorious mess right now. I think Vettel has kind of lost it, but my God, he deserves better than this.

[​IMG]

How the hell do the Ferrari strategists not do this stuff on their own? It's like everyone else is looking at computer projections and crunching numbers and Ferrari is shrugging and yelling at each other "What'sa matter widda da car?"

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

That made me laugh out loud. It sometimes looks like they’re trying to make him look bad, or that they’ve just written him off and forgotten about him. He specifically asked them what pace they wanted him to drive like five laps before that exchange and they didn’t answer him. Even the announcers kind of laughed and said “That feels like he’s saying, ‘Hey, guys, remember me?’”

I agree, he looks finished, but they aren’t doing him any favors.

maumann likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Put him in a back marker car, and let's see how well he does.

6. bigpern23

Couldn't the same be said about any driver? Schumacher wasn't exactly pushing a Pinto around on his way to the previous record.

7. PCLoadLetter

OK? Break Usain Bolt's leg and he probably doesn't win a gold medal.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Could say that about virtually any driver in a similar situation.

Or ... you can watch Max Verstappen and figure out how he's hanging with Hamilton and Bottas. Red Bull is decent, but Mercedes is clearly better. Verstappen is a swearing machine - making some of the radio exchanges unintentional entertainment - but what he's accomplishing under the circumstances is impressive.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do motorcycles count as open wheel?

(This is why I started a single motorsports thread months ago that y’all promptly forgot about.)

10. PCLoadLetter

Max is absolutely saving this season. He's been amazing. Without him things would be pretty dull at the front.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When Schumacher got to Ferrari, it was rough. He also took Benetton toward the front.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My earlier comment wasn't anything negative about Hamilton. It was about the nature of F1. Put someone else in Hamilton's car, and he gets the results.
    The comparison to Schumacher is exactly spot on. At Jordan, nothing. Benetton hit its stride, and he was a champion. He moved to Ferrari, and it was lean pickings for a few years. They get a dominant car, and he's unbeatable (especially with team orders). Schumacher comes back to Mercedes, and he's a field filler.

Draft saved Draft deleted