1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or, put another way:

maumann likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not much chatter about the race in Silverstone on Sunday. Not surprising as it was largely a dull affair until Lap 50 when Bottas blew a tire and Hamilton damn near lost a 30-second lead on the final lap because of similar troubles. The wild finish mostly made up for the lack of action earlier. Verstappen and Horner have to be kicking themselves about the decision to take the "free" pit stop to go after the fastest lap.

Bummer for Hulkenberg, who didn't get to drive after Racing Point couldn't get his car started.

Ferrari lucked into a podium, but they still look largely like dogshit. It's a testament to LeClerc that he was even in position to make it up there. As the broadcasters pointed out, even Ferrari chairman John Elkann knows they won't be competitive until 2022, which is too bad.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ok Ok Ok I retract my comment; didn't mean to offend the whole damn open-wheeled racing world. SMH.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hulkenberg has the worst luck. As I recall, back in 2017 he signed for Renault about a week before Rosberg's surprise retirement at Mercedes. I'm pretty confident he would have been in the second Mercedes instead of Bottas otherwise.

I was surprised Verstappen pitted given the flat for Bottas and Hamilton clearly having tire trouble of his own. Pitting was the safe play but I thought at the time that it was probably worth staying out and hoping Hamilton had his own problem.

Hamilton was going 140mph on the back straight on the last lap... on three tires. No thank you.

Neutral Corner and bigpern23 like this.
  5. bigpern23

There was one shot as he came through the chicane where he was on only his front right and rear left wheels. How he got through that, I have no idea.

Huggy likes this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hamilton's car was handling "like a shopping trolley" as Martin Brundle would say. Incredible bit of driving.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's now less money to go around -- the purse has been cut in half, from around $15 million to $7.5 million. Ugh. I'm having an increasingly tough time thinking of this as the Indy 500, and picturing a guy swilling the victor's milk in front of an empty house just makes me sad. But we've earned this as a society -- a short track about 2 miles from my house on Indy's east side played to a near-full house last night, with no distancing and very few masks from what I saw on social media. Well done, race fans.

maumann likes this.
  8. bigpern23

Nice race by Verstappen yesterday and great strategy by Red Bull. LeClerc also raced really well. What's up with Mercedes' tires lately?

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I've gone to races at the Speedrome pre-COVID where I probably was the only person in the stands with sleeves and should have probably burned my clothes afterwards for sanitary reasons. But it's a crazy fun place if you want to mingle with the LCD.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A guy I used to work with who thought COVID is a hoax got it at a local dirt track the first night they opened back up. He and his wife went, had them a big ole time, caught it and brought it home to their two children. He sings a different tune now.

maumann likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know, but God bless them for creating a car with at least one minor flaw so we could get a couple of interesting races in the middle of their march to domination. Gotta suck to lose a race after being a second faster than anyone else in qualifying.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

I was thinking the same thing. If the tire issues keep up, it's going to make just about every race interesting because you'll have to wonder if 44 or 77 can get home without a blowout. I'm a Mercedes fanboy, but I really like Verstappen and Horner at Red Bull, and I'm happy to see some success from McLaren and Racing Point. I'd really like to see Renault insert itself into that third tier with Racing Point, Ferrari and McLaren, although it doesn't look like they've got the car to do it. The season as a whole would be better if Ferrari and Red Bull could give Mercedes a better challenge, but that race for third could be really interesting to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted