1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was very happy to see Portland back on the schedule. Been too long.

maumann likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The week after the Indy 500 is still a dud with Belle Isle, though that's not going anywhere as long as Penske is around. But the following week at Texas should be interesting as always.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So that cuts ISC involvement with IndyCar down to just Phoenix. Jay Frye must be personna non grata in Daytona these days.

And I've been wondering about TV negotiations. The ABC/NBC deal is up at the end of 2018. Please let someone other than Disney broadcast the 500. Bobby Unser and Sam Posey aren't walking back through that booth in the pagoda.

IndyCar closing in on post-2018 TV plan

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Road America? That's a not-impossible drive for me, and I've kicked it around, though I'm concerned the 4-mile track would make it hard to see anything of consequence.

5. playthrough

I think IndyCar might be in a tougher spot for TV than they're letting on. F1 going to ESPN, in my opinion, wasn't a good sign. I think it shows that NBCSN might not be such a motorsports haven. Yet recent history shows that ESPN doesn't do squat for IndyCar, so staying there doesn't make sense especially since it would be overshadowed by F1.

IndyCar could be a trailblazer by putting the entire series on Amazon or the like, but can't afford to build an audience gradually with teams still struggling for sponsorship dollars.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Doesn't IndyCar buy the time on ESPN? Happy they will be back in Portland - never got a chance to see them in the CART days.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They have to build it separate from "car culture." They have to market it as sleek and cool and upscale and somewhat Euro - the anti-NASCAR. And, of course, market the holy living fuck out of the historical significance of the 500. The Kentucky Derby is cool. They have to sell it as something similar. That it's practically your patriotic duty to pay attention. The Derby is assisted by the fact the Triple Crown, of course.

9. playthrough

That piece was far too friendly, also nonsensical at times -- leading with anecdotes about a new team owner getting a ton of calls from drivers doesn't automatically equate to series health, it just means there's a lot of drivers looking for a ride. Which is always the case in IndyCar. And series officials can project 300,000-plus for Indy all they want, I'll believe it when I see it and I don't think I'll ever see it like the 100th Running again.

Dick's right, they have got to get away from the car culture. Yet everything I've heard and read over the offseason has been new car, new car, new car. Almost nothing about Josef Newgarden, an American champion straight out of central casting. Huge whiff.

As for this weekend, IndyCar's not catching any breaks with the Big Cat in contention at Innisbrook. Good thing the race has an early start time on Sunday.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd really love to see the series grow but I'm really skeptical. All of the improvements they've mentioned are great but you can't get around two things: outside of Indy and Long Beach, no one goes to the races and no one watches on TV. Unless those sponsors are seriously in for the long haul, they've got a tough road ahead.

The TV situation is particularly bad. I'm an open wheel fan -- hell, I'm flying to England for an open wheel race this summer -- and I hardly ever watch the IndyCar races because I don't know where they are.

There's a chance they'll lose Long Beach to F1. If that happens they're really screwed.

11. playthrough

Wouldn't be surprised to see IndyCar take its next TV deal to ESPN for the full season, but that's a deal with the devil. ESPN isn't just going to start promoting IndyCar across all its platforms like it's baseball.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Indy race at Barber's just outside of Birmingham has been a big success. It gets a lot of crowd support and the track and grounds are first class. There are any number of places with very good sight lines to several interesting spots - curves, straights, hills, etc. and if you get bored with what you're seeing you can catch a tram and move around the course.

It's road racing, not an oval. It's a pretty tight course, so passing can be difficult, but it's fun racing to watch. Barber's Museum (primarily motorcycles, although they have the biggest collection of Lotuses outside of the factory museum there) is an honest to god world class facility as well.

If you are willing to drive half an hour or so you can get rooms at a normal rate. The closer you get the more likely they are to be expensive and booked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted