1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was A.J. Foyt, face covered in soot still from what I assume was the smoke from the crash. I can't believe they ran the race after that.

Look up the 1955 Victory Lane photo. All smiles, holding the paper that has a refer to the fact that, oh yeah, two-time defending champ Bill Vukovich happened to be killed today, too.

It's totally macabre.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the '60s, motorsports were my favorite sport as a fan. But by the time I went to college, I was totally off them. I admit sex, drugs and rock and roll played a part in that, but mostly it was all the funerals.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

More images of the 2018 chassis redesign.

New images of 'NEXT' car for Verizon IndyCar Series unveiled

It's going in the right direction as far as design goes, but it's still a spec series. Just because I understand the economics doesn't mean I can't dream about the possibilities.

Too bad there's not a way to sell identical rolling stock based on the DW12 and let each team create unique aero framework from 3D printers within set rules. You come up with a package that blows the doors off the field? Good for you. They can go back to the shop and try something new next week Unfortunately, that would raise costs exponentially. And open wheel is basically scrambling to stay afloat for the time being.

Or just make it open comp, unlimited horsepower, no holds barred. Bring back the turbine! Of course, that'd leave Penske, Andretti and Ganassi to make up 10-car fields. But in all honesty, how is that any different since CART and carbon fiber?

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. But Indianapolis was always about innovation and evolution, pushing the envelope and advancing the industry. Is there enough of either to rekindle true interest in the actual engineering, or has it become just a big Midwestern spring break party/day-long infield concert that includes some race cars?

4. Michael_ Gee

These are excellent questions to which I have no idea as to the answer. But I will note that my wife, not a racing fan, said not too long ago that the idea of the sport was to see who had the fastest car. That seems lost today in all areas of the sport in favor of rule-based parity.

5. Dick Whitman

That's F1 and it's boring as shit.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For now, it's the latter. IMS has gone all-in with music -- Friday is Steve Miller, Saturday is Keith Urban, Sunday is the kids and their crazy electronic dance music in the Snake Pit. There's even a new electronic music festival on Fri/Sat night of Brickyard 400 weekend, at $100 a ticket (and those who know the music say the acts are good and IMS will make plenty of cash). Speedway officials say it's all about the 25-year-old music fan in the infield growing into a 55-year-old race fan in the expensive Turn 1 seats, but check back in 2047. For now, they're grabbing all the music money they can.

As for the series, yep, it's all about the costs. Watch the race Sunday and see how few blue-chip sponsors there are. There's just no money out there because of the microscopic TV ratings. Nascar's in a free fall but still has 10 times the TV audience. IndyCar is working on a third engine manufacturer to go with Honda and Chevy, which would be nice, but the bottom line is they have to have more teams and who wants to start a team in a league with poor TV numbers and low purses?

I think Verizon is gone as title sponsor after this year too.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And I'm an F1 fan who finds IndyCar boring more often than not. IndyCar definitely has much closer racing on a typical weekend, but spec series just don't do it for me. I'm not a fan of ovals, either.

Thankfully, there are two teams dominating F1 this season instead of one, which makes it infinitely more interesting.

8. Dick Whitman

The sport is a tough sell in 2017. Car culture is going away, and that combined with short attention spans makes me wonder how the series is viable long-term. 300,000 people still show up at Indy, but I fear it eventually is the equivalent of minor-league baseball. Just a night out.

The Kentucky Derby has similar issues. But at least you know it's the best horses in the world, it only lasts two minutes, and you can bet on it.

I cherish every second at the 500. I watch or DVR the series all season long. But it's a tough sell to people I know who aren't already fans or are NASCAR or F1 fans.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. Michael_ Gee

I went once, in 1967, the year of the Parnelli Jones turbine car. It's a great memory I'll always cherish. But you know, once was enough.

10. Dick Whitman

I was born, I live, and I'll die in Indiana. This will be 14 of the last 16 for me, and damn if I won't be a faucet during the pre-race ritual. "Taps" gets me every time, of course, but so does "Back Home Again" and a dozen other little things.

It never gets old to hear the roar go up when someone like Marco or Kanaan or Ed Carpenter passes for the lead.

11. Michael_ Gee

I can dig that. I feel somewhat that way about the Boston Marathon, which any outsider would be justified in thinking is one of the most ridiculous sports events of them all.

12. Dick Whitman

Not this outsider! My 4:30-6 a.m. time bloc every morning is dedicated to getting there.

But I know what you mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted