1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thanks, Norrin.

He was at the first place I worked, and as someone who grew up playing soccer I could appreciate his lust for the sport.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can you imagine how insane the place would have gone if Beckham would have scored or assisted a goal on that last corner kick?

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Damn, I missed by one minute in the "when does Beckham enter the match" pool. Of course, as the only entrant, I still win.

Entirely lethargic game from a mediocre LA side and a rusty Chelsea side. The hour-long Beckham documentary, however, exceeded expectations.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Now, despite all the attention being heaped on Beckham, I can honestly say Landon Donovan regressed tonight. His delivery on crosses was abysmal, and the reason L.A. rarely threatened.

What the heck happened to the player from the Gold Cup?

5. Songbird

Landon looked uninspired.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

To say the least. That free header he put over was agonizing.

7. Songbird

But Kobi played with nice energy in the 1st half.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He should have scored on that or at least made the keeper make a save.
    But, it was hilarious to hear the announcer spew hate on Donovan for failing to keep the ball down and then rip him for failing to come up big in big situations and mention his failings in World Cups. I like Landon, he is a pretty cool cat from the interviews I have had with him, but it is hard to say that he hasn't failed in the big moments.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It certainly ranks right up there. :)

Side addition... I'm at Monmouth Racetrack yesterday and I'm not doing to well (AKA losing money). Then in the 8th race I see "Send Me An Angel." I look to my fellow blue nose & RBNY fan and say "We need to bet him to win." Sure enough Send Me An Angel took the prize and I came home with a positive amount.

Additional side note... One of the bartenders last night was a Celtic Supporter from Glasgow. She didn't like my Rangers Supporters club shirt.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A bonnie lass from Glasgow!?! Her accent would have melted me.

Back to BeckhamSPN last night. I was out to dinner with friends and missed most of the match. I finally tuned in right after Becks enters. We watch through to SportsCenter and I never saw Terry's goal. You'd think in the postgame coverage, ESPN could have shown it.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sure, if you want to define "the big moments" as the times when he has failed.
    Personally, I thought the 2002 World Cup was a big moment.
    Maybe the 3 MLS Cups he's won?
    Maybe the 2007 Gold Cup, when he was the best player in the tournament?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nice debut by Blanco for Chicago.

Celtic can't be feeling too good about their jaunt to the States.

Another nice goal by Eddie Johnson to finish a slick Kansas City move against Colorado.

UPDATE: This game turned into a pretty nasty one, with Colorado goading the Wizards into fighting back. Burciaga got sent off for KC.

Draft saved Draft deleted