1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good point. I'm sure the special one will be interested in seeing some of his new boys in action.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Right ... because friendlies in July are a great barometer for a team's quality.

Real champions beat the tar out of Regionalliga sides before losing to the first decent team they play, right Pastor?

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I was thinking that Thursday night might have been one of the best nights of Pastor's life.
    MLS wins 2-0.
    Celtic goes down.
    Red Bull scores winning goal.
    Better than the night you got you first, uh, kiss, right?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was looking at the exchange rates, and wonder how the piss-poor dollar would affect guys like Beckham and anyone else who wanted to come over and play in MLS.

The pound is worth $2.05 and the euro is now worth $1.38; the latter is a record and the former is a 26-year high.

If a player was under contract to a European side and was being paid in euros, it would be attractive to come to MLS on loan — lots of bargain shopping. On the other hand, a Euro player paid in MLS dollars would find his euro doesn't go as far back home. Does it matter?

5. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

David who?? I'm watching all this crap to cheer on my Blues.
    Anyone remember Chelsea? Yeah, they're kind of a big deal.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whoever is directing this match should be put down. I don't like some of the camera angles he/she is calling for. Making it difficult to watch.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Beckham cam is making me ill.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Beckham's in!!!!

He touched the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posh is sitting with Eva Longoria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arnold is there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Songbird

Norrin, you forgot that they interviewed Drew Carey!

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's over the top, but it was pretty fucking cool to see a MLS stadium filled to the rafters and going wild for a player coming in in the 78th minute.

11. Songbird

I'd love to read Scott French's account of this spectacle, if he's writing for anyone these days.

12. Songbird

$250M sigh of relief right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted