1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I never knew Rangers fans worked baggage handling at Denver's airport...

Scottish team arrives for MLS All-Star game, shoes don’t
    COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (AP) — Their shoes were no-shows.
    The Celtic soccer team traveled from Scotland to America this week to start training for the MLS All-Star Game. The players’ shoes? They showed up a little late.
    The start of their workout Tuesday was delayed by about 45 minutes while the team waited for the shoes to reach the practice field. Baggage handlers at Denver International Airport couldn’t locate them when the team arrived Monday night.
    “You Americans go through this much?” midfielder Scott Brown joked as Celtic FC waited for practice to begin. “We’d like to get on with this.”
    For good reason. Temperatures were in the 90s and climbing — not exactly what the Scottish Premier League champions are used to back home.
    “There’s no sun in Europe whatsoever. I’ve been everywhere in Europe this summer and there is no sun at this time of year,” Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said. “I wake up this morning and it’s 100 degrees.”
    Celtic FC plays the MLS All-Stars on Thursday.
    Newly arrived David Beckham is expected to be watch the game from the commissioner’s suite. Beckham is scheduled to make his MLS debut when his team, the Los Angeles Galaxy, plays Chelsea in an exhibition game Saturday.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

In all seriousness, there is a Rangers fan that I know of (not even close to being a friend) that sent YouTube links and quotes showing Celtic fans bigotry towards blacks to the NAACP chapter in Colorado. It wouldn't surprise me if he got a job with the airline to intentionally screw with Celtic.

In other SPL news... Beasley played his second game Gers today. All reports say that he played well.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can you imagine how badly Gordan Strachan would burn if he's out in the sun for more than half-an-hour? He must go out to practice out there with SPF 2000 on.

4. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

He got through Mexico '86 okay..... Mind you Scotland are never in a tournament long enough to be affected by local weather conditions.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm just surprised the interviewer was able to understand Strachan's "English."

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thought the thread needed a bump, so here's some mildly interesting U.S. personnel news from yanks-abroad.com...Heath Pearce signed a 2-year deal with newly promoted Bundesliga outfit Hansa Rostock, and Gooch has returned to Liege without any offers from elsewhere in Europe...

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You sure about that? This is from Standard Liege's website:

"Alors qu'il n'est pas encore revenu, Guchi Onyewu pourrait..déjà repartir! Des dirigeants de Sheffield Utd (club de Championship; D2 chez nous) se trouvaient samedi à Sclessin pour évoquer la possibilité d'un transfert. Sportivement, on est fort loin de l'élite du foot anglais. Financièrement, par contre, ça reste solide."

(Very) loosely translated:
    "Even though he's not back yet, Guchi Onyewu might already be gone! Representatives/Execs from Sheffield United (a club from the Championship; our [Belgian] D2) were at Sclessin on Saturday to discuss a possible transfer. In sporting terms, it's [SU] far from the level of the elite English clubs. Financially, however, it's pretty solid."

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Here's the story from yanks-abroad. http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=3239

Gooch said while he heard rumors of an offer from Sheff U, he claims Liege has not received any formal offers. Well, at any rate, he says he's back in training with Liege.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As was previously expected, the San Jose Earthquakes will return next season. The Oakland A's owner will own the team, and they have a location for a soccer specific stadium lined up.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070718&content_id=106375&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This is the type of news I like.

Also, USA Today did a feature on Juan-Pablo Angel. It isn't bad.
    LINK

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Here's something you might be able to answer for me, Pastor.
    In his SI piece on Becks, Grant Wahl wrote that only Chicago, NY, LA had spent their Beckham exception on a player. Isn't Scheletto such a signing for Columbus?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The British tabs are destroying LAG for the loss to Tigres. One called Becks' new team a "pub side."

Draft saved Draft deleted