1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Re: USA/Poland Thread (soccer)

I expect a full report when I check back here around midnight Crass. Ready to hit the road for a long ass trip so I won't see the game, but I hope those who played in 02 are ready for a bit of payback after we got, um, poleaxed by Poland.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Some funny lines from arena about Adu this week.

Much to do about Adu

One of the more interesting questions Arena will face during the World Cup buildup is that of the status of 16-year-old Freddy Adu, the D.C. United midfielder-forward who is a long shot to make the team.

On Monday, a German journalist asked the U.S. coach whether Adu will be going to the World Cup.

"I haven't talked to him. I don't know if he plans on going to the World Cup or not," Arena said half sarcastically and half jokingly.

"I don't know. Do you know any 16-year-old players playing in the World Cup this year? But the American team will probably have 14-, 15-, 16-year-old players with them because we're so weak," he said.

Then Arena got serious.

"It's not likely," he said. "Freddy's a very good player, but it's not likely. But you never know. It's not likely we're going to be carrying a 16-year-old. He's an exceptional player with a bright future."

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Poin, just another example of stupid foreign media thinking that we don't have good players and need to rely on a 16-year-old. Nevermind that Germany needed a handball to win. :mad:

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm not normally a soccer fan, but this game intrigues me. I'm an American, but I have a strong Polish heritage.

I put on the game.

5. poindexter

I heard Adu's going out for Olympic diving, anyways.

I am just so pissed that I didn't record this. Have you heard anything about Telemundo replaying it tonight?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great crowd. Haven't seen a shot of the stands, however.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Poin, like yourself, I want to know about Telemundo's replay. I'm watching here, but I'm on the phone and am not able to concentrate too much on the game.

I went over Telemundo's website, USSoccer.com and used TVGuide.com to find out when it will be on and I get nothing. I'm pretty pissed.

In any case, here are some first half thoughts:

• Free kicks do not look that good. Most balls are just low.
    • Dempsey is not fast enough mentally. His legs will get him going, but he can't decide what to do quick enough. This leads to turnovers and fouls on him. The fouls have helped, but if he played quicker the ball would be moving more and there would be more chances.
    • Eddie Johnson is in this game? I can't tell. Maybe they'll put him in at the start of the second half.
    • Comments were made that McBride is injured and thus won't play. So there was talk of putting in Wolff. I ask why. The guy won't score.
    • Twellman hasn't looked bad. I like what I'm seeing and I'm not a huge fan of his. If you look over past comments, I wanted him gone, long ago.
    • Gooch is the mother-fucking man. No question.
    • Keller is also the mother-fucking man. Only Keller lives in a castle, which we get to hear about 500-times.
    • Crowd is solid. I've got no complaints.
    • The team needs more movement. The US doesn't have the size advantage, but they do have the speed. Take advantage of the speed. Enough with the long balls.
    • Cherundolo's free kick was sweet. I just wish it was 1-foot over.

8. Inky_Wretch

Dempsey goal on a header.

And Cantona's commercial was sweet.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Gotta love Cliff Dempsey.

10. duckman

duckman Member

The replay is on Telemundo late tonight. I know it's at 2 a.m. PST.. not sure about the rest of the country.

Note that US-Poland on Telemundos airs directly after Mexico-Ghana. Might want to tune in for that one too.

11. poindexter

thx. I'll find it and record it tonight.

12. Inky_Wretch

Snowing pretty heavily in the match now.

Draft saved Draft deleted