1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

USA plays Poland from Kaiserslautern with kickoff in about 14 hours.  The Bruce has called in most of the healthy European-based players, so this should be a good indicator of who some of the frontrunners might be for some of the questionable spots. 

Discussing this with a co-worker today, and we were having a difficult time getting past the first 11 players or so (and that includes Howard as the top backup to Keller, so it's not the starting side).  Quite a difference from as little as 10 years ago, when we struggled to find enough quality players to make up a full side.  Also liking that we don't need to scour the globe for anyone with any possible connection to the USA to play for us (Roy Wegerle, David Regis, Tom Dooley, anyone?)

Game is on ESPN2 at 2 pm...  can't wait, should be a better test than Guatemala or Japan or Norway were....

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: USA/Poland Thread (soccer)

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten and will now be tuning in.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The other day I was thinking this game was yesterday.

I'm primed for this one. It will be a lot of fun.

My only issue is the time. I can shift over to watch the game, but that is a pain and I'll get less done. I have also been unable to locate when Telemundo will be broadcasting the tape delay. I would like to watch it when it is convenient to do so.

Damn, I should have set it up to record.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Let's go Betze! [/1991flashback]

K-Town is a Yank-friendly town, so this will be fun.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Looking forward to seeing the stadium, get an idea what U.S.-Italy will be like.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anyone have a list of the planned starting 11?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry for the delay, Shotty.

U.S.MNT Roster vs. Poland
    Goalkeepers (2) – Tim Howard (Manchester United), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
    Defenders (6) –Gregg Berhalter (Energie Cottbus), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Eddie Lewis (Leeds United), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Jonathan Spector (Charlton Athletic)
    Midfielders (7) –DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven), Bobby Convey (Reading FC), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Chris Klein (Real Salt Lake), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City Wizards)
    Forwards (4) – Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Brian McBride (Fulham FC), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

I find the addition of Howard very interesting. However, I do not think he will play.

I'm also wondering about Spector. Personally, I like Pearce better, but I'm not The Bruce?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Where's the Playmaker (Superfraud Reyna)?

And can someone run over to my house and turn on the tivo for me?

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

He's just getting over his injury I think. He returned to his club team late last week, but they weren't expecting to use him until this week.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Still recovering from his latest injury.

Sure. But when I run over there to setup the Tivo, I'll probably take it home with me.

11. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

Starting eleven:

Keller

Lewis, Gooch, Berhalter, Cherundolo

Beasley, Zavagnin, Donovan, Dempsey

Twellman, Johnson

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I find Dempsey to be a very interesting selection.

I won't be surprised if Twellman is pulled for McBride at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted