1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All purpose NBA thread 07/08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

That's fine, but to surround him with a host of other players who can't defend isn't going to win a championship. And he's no "small" liability. He's a huge liability defensively. That's not to say he's not a great offensive player who makes his teammates better. But his defense was so awful in Game 1, they had to put Marion on Parker. Having to total reconstruct your scheme isn't a "small" glitch, it's a major one.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I heard Howard and Nowitzki to LA.

No way do the Mavs make that deal because it's trading strength-for-strength; they don't become an improved team dealing Nowitzki.

3. Dangerous_K

I read that Cuban called Nowitzki untouchable.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The momentum switched hands in Game 5, where Stoudamire and Diaw were suspended by the NBA for just inching closer to the court. The series was tied at 2-2 before then and the Suns looked really good. Amare was scoring buckets and then when you remove him out of the Suns' line-up, there goes a big force in the middle. Take Horry off of the Spurs, you have one less seat on the bench, not in the starting line-up. Amare averaged 26.4 PPG and 10.4 RPG in that series. That is a huge blow to the Suns with those questionable calls.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ditto.
    Dirk is not going anywhere.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Marion is one of the best defenders in the NBA. Kobe gets put on PFs all the time and he also guards PGs. Iverson was put on bigger guys than him all the time (not just because Iverson is small). You put your best defender on the best ball-handler constantly.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

"Hi ... long-time listener, first-time caller. My question is: What's the over-under for Pacers victories this year? It's gotta be around 15, right?

"Thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your response."

8. Dangerous_K

Inched onto the court? Stoudemire ran 20 feet from his seat and had to be restrained. Diaw's was garbage, I'll say that. But Stoudemire clearly broke the rule, going so far as to walk past Nash before being pulled back.

Now, as for Game 5, it's a whole different series if the Suns hold serve in Game 1. They did not. Why? Because Stoudemire couldn't guard Duncan and Nash couldn't guard Parker. That hasn't a thing to do with David Stern, and it repeated itself in Game 6.

As for the Spurs missing nothing more than a seat on the bench, that may fit Horry in the regular season, but he's certainly more than just a body off the bench in the postseason. Horry in the Playoffs > Boris Diaw.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If my aunt had balls, she's be like Pilar telling Pablo that he's a fucking coward. Que va! But she's too much woman, so the balls stay on my uncle.

As for the Bulls ... they're going far this year. My feeling after the C's got Garnett to finally give them a legit center for the first time since Parrish, is that the C's and Bulls play for the East title.

I hope the Pistons can keep it together. They should've won 3 or 4 titles by now instead of the one. I love Chauncey at point. There's really only one move they should've made, and that's getting rid of Rasheed.

10. Dangerous_K

And what do these Lakers and Suns have in common? No championships. Marion's a great defender, which I've already said numerous times. But the second best defender on that team was Kurt Thomas, for whom they got nothing in return. If Marion's having to guard a ballhandler, they've got no one who can guard in the post. No one.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hey caller. The Pacers aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. Jamal Tinsley has always been a major health risk but if he can stay healthy, the Pacers could be good since he's a great distributor. Danny Granger is emerging as a breakout star for Indiana and can fill the stat sheet in all columns. Mike Dunleavy is always a risk because you don't know what you are going to get out of him. Troy Murphy will be back to his double-double days that he had in Golden State. Jermaine is Jermaine and hopefully no fans get in his way on the court. I predict a 25-30 win season for them.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like Dunleavy and Murphy. The Pacers win 45-50 this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted