1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all-purpose NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 19, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I don't get the Oden-will-be-a-bust talk. All the guy had to do in college was anchor a zone and he changed the complexion of the whole game. He was a man among boys in the NC game, but none of his teammates helped him out. He won't come into the league able to light up the scoreboard, but everything I've seen points to him becoming an All-Star caliber player.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Conley I think is the most interesting pick.

I know his outside shot is suspect, and he is on the short side a little bit.

But watching him play, as a freshman mind you, he just seemed to see things in slow motion. There was never a point watching him that I did not feel that he was in control 100 percent of his surroundings. What is this worth? I do not know. It may be an intagible that makes him a great player that does not show up on a tape measure or a stop watch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31544

Oden will be great.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ask the Florida players who couldn't get near the basket in the title game if they thought he played with no fire.
    Ask the Florida frontcourt -- three lottery picks -- who surrendered 25 points to him whether he's got an offensive game.
    Ask yourself -- how on Earth did a team with so many freshmen get to the title game and manage to hang in with a team that already won the thing?
    You're going to base whether a guy can play on his facial expression? Egads.

4. I agree on Oden. Conley will be successful, but it will take a few more years for him to have a major impact. Granted, he was throwing the ball in to Oden a good deal of the time, but Conley, as a freshman playing the 11th toughest schedule in the country, was ranked #5 in the nation in Assists/Game and with a 2.8 Assist/TO ratio, only two on the Top 25 assists list had a better Assist/TO ratio (Todd Abernathy of Ole Miss and Eric Maynor of VCU).

5. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

I've heard Isiah likes Sean Williams. I've watched every game he's played in and he's going to be good. Seeing as i'm already on BC, whoever grabs Dudley is getting the steal of this years draft. That kid can flat out play.

6. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

He was a man against boys because he's 36. Old Lebron anyone?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

1. No, he's not going to turn into Candyman.

2. Unless the Celtics trade that pick to the T-wolves for KG.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

1. Oden was guarding Brewer(Brewer's a small forward, so he couldn't possibly be guarding him), Horford, and Noah(who's not known for his offense) at the same time?

2. Im not basing it off his facial expressions. Im basing it off his body movements. The guy really does look like he's in slow motion all the time. If you're backing someone down, you gotta be aggresive and SCREAM for the ball. That's how all the greats have done. Hell even Duncan gets pissed and yells for the ball during certain times.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How about the Sixers? They have four of the first 36 picks, but don't pick until 12. Do they package picks to move up or stay where they are? I can't see four new players making the 12-man roster unless they use all three of the injury list spots. I'd like to see them move up for Brewer. The guy plays outstanding D and his shooting should improve with guys like Miller and Iguodala around.

10. Big Game

Big Game Member

Chuck, I was with ya early in the college season. I wasn't a fan of Oden at all. But the more I watched him, the more I saw a player who was gutting through a serious injury to play the game. We're talking about a kid who had to play nearly the entire season WITHOUT his shooting hand. Sure, he didn't have staggering numbers ... but think about it. They were average numbers basically playing with one arm tied behind his back. Near the end of the season, and in the tournament, when his wrist was near full strength, he started putting up bigger numbers. But, by then, the Buckeyes were in such a flow as a team, there was no need for him to demand the ball. He just had to keep doing what he did all season. His teammates ended up overhwelmed in the title game and he tried to pick up the slack, but Florida was just too experienced and too deep.

Durant's an unbelievable talent, but Oden is definitely the guy you have to take because he can dominate the game in a variety of ways. His defense alone is going to be worth 10-15 extra wins. And now, because he had to learn to play with his off hand, he's going to be that much more versatile on offense. Is he ready to score 25 per game in the pros? No. But he's more than capable of averaging 18 pts, 11 rebs, 3.5 blocks per game as a rookie. If he's a bust, I'll be shocked.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It certainly sounds as if a case is being made this week by someone, for some reason, that Oden is damaged goods.

Based on previous draft history, I would say the odds slightly favor Oden not living up to expectations.

12. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I agree that the Sixers should try to trade up, but I feel fairly certain that Billy King will screw it up somehow. Most likely by picking Josh McRoberts.

Gee, where did Billy go to school again?

Draft saved Draft deleted