1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm completely aware of that. It's the new(ish) wave of snoozer 1.5 milers like Texas, Chicagoland, et al that bore the crap out of me. I appreciate pit strategy just as much as the next guy, perhaps even more so, but as someone who grew up with Martinsville, The Rock, all the smaller tracks that are going extinct sooner or later, I do long for yesterday's tracks.

I do wonder if the day will come when everyone's engines will come from NASCAR. Hell, they control every other nth of the car...

2. He'd have to make a shitload of pitstops!

BTW IJAG: Love. Love. Love your tribute to the Truffle Shuffle.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How the hell did Robby Gordon get away with probation and a five-figure fine? Is NASCAR admitting it screwed up in Montreal?

4. My question is how does Gordon's flap in a Busch race carry over to a NASCAR race in an entirely different city?
    I don't like R. Gordon, but I thought NASCAR should have come down on him in the Busch series to be fair.
    Penalizing him in a NASCAR (Sunday) race for a Busch series infraction is unfair.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He violated NASCAR rules, not Busch rules. It would be like saying a player banned for steroids in the National League could play in the American League.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

NASCAR certainly got its point across, but I agree it's a little fishy to jump series with penalties. Can they live up to that precedent later? It's easy to pick on R Gordon but let's see them do that if Stewart or another big name snaps in a Busch race.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Again, precedent at least back to Harvick in the Truck Series at Martinsville in 2002.

8. I don't think that is a gbood comparison. I think it more like the MLB structure with the Pros and AAA.
    I think Gordon got shafted.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The difference, my friend, is that NASCAR controls all the series. In baseball, MLB does not have total control of the National Association teams.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And Robby may, in his own unusual way, be admitting he done a bad, bad thing: He's putting Ambrose into his second car at Watkins Glen this weekend. Camping World/RVs.com to sponsor the 77 Ford, with additional signage from Kingsford Charcoal (Ambrose's sponsor in Busch). Ambrose's Busch crew from JTG/Wood Brothers will do the pit work.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Hamlin, today, on his hope for the Redskins' season:

“Me, moving right next door to Joe on the lake, I’d prefer he stays [in Ashburn] for a while. That way I still kind of have my privacy at my house. As long as he’s staying up here, everything’s good.”

:)

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He obviously doesn't pay attention to the way Dan "The Fan" Snyder gets a kick out of jettisoning coaches ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.