1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I believe there are developers trying to build a track on Staten Island--New Jersey's "special" cousin--but they are facing challenges from community groups.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ISC tried it. Project is dead.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

NASCAR and its sister track-managing company has withdrawn from that effort.

They'll find somewhere to build, I'm certain they will.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Plenty of space on Long Island for a track. Eisenhower Park in Nassau County would be perfect.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I think they were eying Staten Island because it's centrally located. Try getting to Long Island from upstate New York.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Throgs Neck Bridge, my friend.

http://www.mta.info/bandt/html/throgs.htm

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Then hitting one of the LI Expressways? No thanks.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree that the "air" graphic doesn't do a whole lot for me. And I was watching the rally cars at the X Games. Notw that was racing.

As for Gordon, I'd sit him and his car a month minimum. Defying Nascar and negatively affecting the race makes it impossible to trust him on the track. If you want to beef, beef after the race or take legal action, but don't risk hurting people.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Tony Stewart did it a number of years ago at Daytona and got a slap on the wrist -- this after assaulting Mike Mulhern's tape recorder after the race.

Of course, because it's Robby Gordon, NASCAR can and will go after him hard. I'd say 100-point minimum.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

That's pretty funny. I tuned in at lap 8, turned the TV off at lap 10, went with my wife to see The Simpsons movie and to do a little grocery shopping, turned the TV back on at lap 197.

Looks like I saw plenty!

And I just can't imagine how awful it's going to be next year. They complain about the COT not turning at Bristol... imagine how much fun it will be in the tunnel turn. And imagine how much fun it will be to watch!

11. lono

lono Active Member

It's called the Draft Tracker, people. I think it would be invaluable to use in the VIP room at Lollipops during Speedweeks next February.

That way, you'd always know if you were in clean air or dirty air.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've heard rumors about Lollipops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.