1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There is indeed.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's eerily similar to a quote by Derrick Cope after he pulled off what is probably the biggest upset in
    NASCAR history, winning the Daytona 500 in 1990 – Dale Earnhardt had dominated the race but blew a tire on the last lap.

"Not in my wildest dreams did I think we could come here and win this race," Cope said.

Not in anybody else's dreams either, Derrick. Apparently he was so unknown that the CBS affiliate closest to his hometown in Washington didn't even bother to broadcast the race.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Will Labonte still get into the race as a former series champion, or have they changed the rules regarding provisionals?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They're 150 miles now. And there are 23 teams gunning for those eight spots.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

It's gonna take a lot of getting used to seeing all the driver changes and car changes.
    Feels like this year there are more changes than any in recent history. ...

McMurray in the 26?
    Waltrip in the 55?
    Sorenson in the Target car and not Mears.
    Kurt in the 2 car?
    And all the rookies ... crazy changes.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

And Mears with a new team, but at the same shop.

For instance: A car with the number 11 on the side competitive for the first time since the first Clinton term.

News Flash: Jimmie Johnson's crew chief may be suspended for trying to sneak one past the NASCAR inspectors. http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/02/12/jjohnson.tlabonte.qualifying/index.html

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12 of which might own a motor capable of propelling a Microbus uphill. ;)

8. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

This thread is a great idea (until some idiot comes in and ruins it -- but for now it's good).

Anyway, it's interesting how even in an AP story I saw the other day, Chad Knaus is labeled "the best crew chief in the sport," but he's constantly getting caught in things like this, it seems. Isn't this the third time? Jimmie Johnson and the 48 team are getting the cheaters label, and it might stick after this.

9. jimmyu

jimmyu Guest

the AP story said he is ``widely considered the best crew chief in the garage.''

I thought the AJC lede was terrific on Hamlin and proves my point that Hamlin was a shocker.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. _ Denny who won what?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

As an update, NASCAR has "ejected" Knaus from any further D500 activities this week and additional penalties may be levied next week. The penalties brought against Hall of Fame Racing (that's Aikman and Staubach, with Terry Labonte driving) won't be as severe but will also be levied at that time.

This is not nearly as harsh as the penalties brought against Kevin Harvick's crew chief last fall, but it's headed that way.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Every time I see or hear the name Hermie, I can't help but be reminded of "Summer of '42."

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We will do our best to keep it from being ruined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.