1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose NASCAR thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Villeneuve's voluntary move to the back at the start was one of the most unselfish things I've seen in a long time. That should earn him plenty of cred in the garage, though I agree that he didn't need anyone's approval to be there to begin with.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've only heard snippets and was sort of intrigued -- it didn't sound like what I was expecting... although I'm not sure what I was expecting. If that makes any sense.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, it's kind of sad some worthless hack who won a F-1 championship has to bow at the knees of Gordo.

I mean, for Christ's sake, Gordo couldn't handle Monza if you put him in a two-seater's passenger seat with a leak-proof diaper.

And Stacey Compton calling out anyone is a joke. Wish I'd heard those comments.

4. KG

KG Active Member

It makes perfect sense. This certainly wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm not really sure what my expectations were either.

http://www.myspace.com/jvofficial

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) I vehemently disagree.

B.) It's not like people were saying Jacques couldn't drive Michigan or Pocono. It's Talladega, where drafting rules (or is supposed to), and it was in a car no one had ever driven there will a full field of 43 cars. In the Chase. They're not saying the guy can't drive...let's not get it twisted. The concerns were valid, only because EVERYONE had concerns about EVERYTHING because it was a big unknown. A car they couldn't see out of, people who had never drafted with a full field, the Chase....etc.

6. Loved how the Talladega fans showered Gordo's car and the track with debris to show their joy with the race and its outcome.

Stay Classy Talladega!

I flipped over to Speed Sunday night and caught Jimmy Spencer and Kenny Wallace slobbering all over Gordon...
    Best driver ever! Most incredible moves ever made! ... Awesome!
    He could outdrive Ryan Sonner and Dale Earnhardt!

I am a Gordon fan and the guy drove a hell of a race, but these guys made John Madden's love of Brett Favre look like Simon Cowell judging an Idol contestant.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

IJAG, I understood the hesitation, and I was concerned at first, but it's a guy who's a champion for a reason. He has been very measured with how he has approached this whole NASCAR deal, and he proved that he was aware of his surroundings by asking to be moved to the back of the pack.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That was definitely a good move for him. And he's probably less dangerous out there than about 5 others I could name. But to say Gordon had no right to question Villeneuve's entry (as some on here did, not saying you) is bullshit.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Jeff Gordon won't approach Richard Petty's 200 wins, and he may not even overtake David Pearson for second on the all-time list. But he is, hands down, the best driver NASCAR has ever seen or ever will see.

If the bullshit Chase for the Ratings Cup had never been dreamed up by the brainiacs in marketing, they'd already be engraving his name on the trophy for the sixth time in only 15 years on the circuit.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That last sentence is very true, Double J.

One change NASCAR really needs to make to this format is giving additional bonus points to the regular-season champion. If a race win is now worth 10 bonus points, isn't leading the points worth at least 30? If there's not a flat number than maybe use a number that varies based on the lead. Say, 10 points for every 50 points ahead of second. Gordon would get 60 points for his 300-pt lead. That bonus amounts to nearly half a race in the Chase, which seems fair for a guy who built practically a two-race lead in the regular season. In other years where it's tighter, maybe the first-place guy just gets 10 points. Just please give something to a driver who has been terrific for six months.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Scrap the Chase.

It's killed the rest of the season. No, the Race to the Chase is not exciting.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do whuh? Are you insane?

And Orville ... Jimmy and Kenny are two excellent reasons not to watch Speed on race day --- especially with Krista Voda exiled to the backwoods of the truck series.

Draft saved Draft deleted