1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Holiday Shopping Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Were you being sarcastic? I was just using the trapeze as an example of the awesome options that Groupon has.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you really want to save money catch Restaurant.com when they sell the $25 gift certificates for $3.
    However before you buy for a restaurant read the fine print to see when it can be redeemed. I forgot to to do that for one restaurant near me, tried using it at dinner and the gift certificate was only valid at lunch time.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Groupon is a much better idea than restaurant.com. Probably not trapeze lessons, though.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just looked up some deal for The Queen that she saw on The Today Show for restaurant.com - spend $30 and get a $500 gift certificate? Seems way too good to be true. You buy it, then go on and pick your restaurants until you've spent your 500. Pick one, print and go. No expiration date.

Seems way way way too good to be true. Am I wrong?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I buy my brothers and their families deep dish pizza from Lou Malnati's.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

They each get a four pack of frozen pizzas. It's not the cheapest present, but the kids freaking love them and look forward to them every year. And, my brothers love them because it gives 'em a free, hassle free meal (or two) during Christmas week, which is always crazy.

And, it means I don't have to travel with gifts, (or ship them ahead of time) or wrap them. Totally worth it for me.

I ordered them a while ago, and they'll be there tomorrow.

But, there's still time to order.

It obviously makes the most sense for someone who's from Chicago, or maybe if you know someone who loves Chicago & deep dish.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a box full of Italian Beef sandwiches and maybe some hot dogs from Portillo's, but that's just personal preference.

We get the Lou Malnati's as a gift for my wife's birthday every year from her Chicago-based brother and his family, and you're right - that's something that never disappoints.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

According to this: http://hip2save.com/2011/12/20/steals-and-deals-ann-taylor-faux-fur-tea-hair-styling-tools-and-more/

It's legit. Go to the link in that article, put in the promo code (TodayRestaurant) and profit. The $500 doesn't expire, apparently. But the deal itself, according to the link I posted, lasts about 24 hours. So you'd better buy it early tomorrow.

Hell, I might have to do that myself.

EDIT: The Restaurant.com site says it is 12/20 only. So you have 10 minutes.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm doing all of my shopping tomorrow after work.
    I have ideas for all gifts except my boss.
    I always get hims something funny and/or unique, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ok, I just found the gift for my boss, Bright Feet:
    https://www.asseenontv.com/bright-feet-lighted-slippers/detail.php?p=305858

But I don't have time to order them. Has anybody seen these in a store?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Zappos and Amazon took care of 75% of the gifts. Liquor stores were another 10%.

Draft saved Draft deleted