1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Holiday Shopping Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I figure many of us are probably just starting our Christmas shopping and likely looking for a good deal.

So think of this as a thread for gift idea that don't break the bank.

Looking for anyone with experience with Restaurant.com. I see you can get five $100 gift cards for $40 or five $50 gift cards for $25.

Would this be a good gift for parents in another city or a spouse for dinners out, or are the hoops you have to jump through to reedem them such that you end up looking like a cheapskate?

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I have some limited experience with them, and it's never been a hassle to redeem them. Some of the times I've wanted to give those out for gifts out-of-towners, there were VERY limited selection of participating restaurants in some areas.

That's the only red flag we've run into.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

On another note: I strongly recommend Kohl's if you're looking for home decor or some simple clothing.

Got a sweater and slacks for my mom, sweater, button-down shirt and a wallet for my dad, a scarf/hat/gloves combo for my mom and some stocking stuff. Total ticket price: $344. I paid $132.

Christmas shopping done. Boom!

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

21 says he's a little busy right now.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If 21 can talk, he's not busy enough.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Read the fine print! A lot of these have stipulations. For example, to use the $25 gift certificate, you have to spend at least 35 bucks...which means your "gift" is costing your giftee 10 bucks off the top, plus tip.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Done with stores. Online at this point or it doesn't get done. With school out, every teacher and kid will add to an already crowded scene. No thanks.

WOOT is too slow, so getting that stuff by Christmas won't work. I'm about done anyway.

Amazon's deal of the day is often a VERY good deal. A watch I bought recently was on there the other day - at about half of what I paid.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Ace, have you tried Groupon for some gifts for your out of town people? Sign up for it using the various towns that people you buy for live in. I buy stuff for my daughter in her town all the time. And they have more than just restaurant offers. Lots of great stuff and I have never had a problem with any Groupon offer that I've purchased. I recently bought her a tune up and oil change for $11. And she just bought 2 hours of trapeze lessons for her and her boyfriend. The costs savings are amazing. I think she paid $25 for both of them. The ladies and I at work buy them all the time for the restaurant across the street from work that we like to frequent after work. We get a $25 gift card for $10. They really do have some great offers that are unique to the town.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Trapeze lessons? That is fan-fucking-tastic.

My sweet stoner sibling and her stoner husband would absolutely attend those lessons high. I would pay so much money for the chance to watch those two fools hit the net on every single attempt. Flailing through the air. Holy shit, I'm just laughing at the thought of it.

I'm going to research this immediately.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, tx. Good idea. I think I'll get trapeze lessons for my parents.

11. We get my in-laws a GC from a bed and breakfast or local restaurant.
    They are both retired and GC's allow them to pick the date. My wife puts the GC's in a basket with brochures from the area (antique shops, shopping malls, local restaurants and attractions).
    They really seem to enjoy it.

We ordered the stuff Saturday and we got it (all of it) in the mail Monday.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's been my experience too. On $50 gift certificate I got ended up costing me $45. I've gotten two others from restaurant.com and the restaurants were about an hour drive from where I live. I never got around to using them and lost them during the move. I feel bad that my mother wasted probably $50 between the two of them on something that never got used.

Draft saved Draft deleted