1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose hockey thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 2, 2005.

?

How do you like the new NHL, compared to what the sport used to be?

1. I love it!

39 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. I hate it!

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. I could not care less!

11 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. They're playing hockey? When did this happen?

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. I don't like hockey, but I love the fights.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Is Wayne Gretzky still playing?

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Is Sidney Crosby a girl?

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. I like what I've seen so far but I'm not sure if I love it yet

29 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

Re: New NHL vs. the old NHL

mr. miler,

bad syntax on my part. i meant the way they lost sullivan was brutal, not that he is so.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Unless he turns out to be the Swedish version of Jim "Net Detective" Carey. :)

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You are close HB. His name does start with an L, but it's spelled Legace. :D :D ;)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does start with an "L", but it's spelled "Lalime"

;D I crack myself up sometimes.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Think about it this way:

The NHL is morphing to a European/Russian/Olympic style sport. Lundqvist played in the Sweedish Elite Leage last season and was thoroughly dominant. He was going to have success, simply because he wasn't going to have to learn a brand new style of game.

Dooles, Patrick Lalime? Your crack habit has finally gotten out of control. :D ;D

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

You're quick to mock Lalime, but keep in mind that Lalime came out of the gate even faster than Lundqvist before becoming, well, Lalime.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, Sweden's answer to Quebec goalies' dominance ended with the Tommy Salo era. Now it's the Finn's turn. :)

Patrick Lalime? He was the guy that blew it for Ottawa in Game 7 against the Leafs last time they had playoffs.

As Nieuwendyk came down the left side and was about to shoot, I said to my g/f, "Joe'll never score from there" Bingo. In. Did the same thing a little later. Lalime was run out of town that night.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interesting you say that.

Was there a defining moment in Lalime's career when he enrolled in the Garth Snow School of Goaltending?

Happens to goalies. Remember that shot from centre ice with a couple of seconds to go that Potvin missed when he was with the Leafs? He never seemed to be the same goalie after that.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Look at how Lundqvist's style, though. He is quick to square to the shooter and doesn't give up rebounds. He's going to be succesful.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He is considered the No.1 goalie or is he just holding the spot until DiPietro comes back?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, DiPietro plays on the Islanders.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Tom Renney said earlier this season that Kevin Weekes is the No.1 goalie. However, Lundqvist has been getting the majority of the starts in nets. Nothing has been made official, but it seems as if Lundqvist has earned the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted