1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose hockey thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 2, 2005.

?

How do you like the new NHL, compared to what the sport used to be?

1. I love it!

39 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. I hate it!

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. I could not care less!

11 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. They're playing hockey? When did this happen?

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. I don't like hockey, but I love the fights.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Is Wayne Gretzky still playing?

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Is Sidney Crosby a girl?

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. I like what I've seen so far but I'm not sure if I love it yet

29 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: New NHL vs. the old NHL

Leafs Nation wonders how Larry Murphy would have done in the new NHL.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Again, from the newest SI: Although the league has been relentlessly on-message about the improved product, Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn harrumphed late last month, "In spite of everbody saying "I love the new game,' I don't love the new game. I don't think it's hockey. It's special-teams situations, and we've got gimmicks [shootouts] to decide games." That frankness cost Quinn a $10,000 fine.

What a shock. The Goonmaster doesn't like an up-and-down hockey game.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Sad thing is, Lyle Odelein has been the Penguins third or fourth best defenseman (defenceman) so far this season.

4. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Pat Quinn is, like, against electricity.

5. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

certainly, calling quinn a "goonmaster" is fair comment. but to say he doesnt like an up-and-down hockey game betrays a lack of knowledge.

quinn, to his credit, refused to play the trap while coaching toronto. it may have cost his team some success, but they were never boring. and quinn often argued that the way others coached hockey in years past was hurting the game.

quinns problem -- and it's one shared by many -- is that players are being allowed to do anything they want; there is no way anyone can play defence. it's a fair one.

no one wants to see obstruction, but defencemen have to be allowed to do something.

6. Re: New NHL vs. the old NHL

Now, now now. When have any of those guys mentioned gotten more than (at the most) 10 minutes of ice time a game?

The best game I've seen so far this season is tonight's Chicago vs. St. Louis game. Lots of great rushes, hitting, goaltending, and yes, a nice toe-to-toe slugfest between Jim VanderMeer and Aaron Downey at center (or centre) ice that got the Blues out of their funk.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey now.

;D :D

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

But that's not the reason he's complaining. He has a lineup chockfull of goons and no-talents, such as Wade Belak, Tie Domi, and Darcy Tucker. Quinn knows he can't play those guys now, simply because they'd spend half the game lounging in the box.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Beat,

You're surprised that 99 and I would be of like minds? And no, I don't have the most recent SI--just the one with Games 1 and 2 of World Series on the cover and not even a mention of the NHL between the covers. It's fair to say that one D man on most of the sub-.500 squads shouldn't be playing and wouldn't be if the teams had a chance to throw them over the side.

YHS, etc

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Sorry, pal. I did not mean to lump you in with cro-magnon Pat Quinn.

I do think Discyple/Insufferable Prick/Whipping Boy/Epic Douchebag/Whatever-the-fuck-he-is-this-week would like to be lumped in with Quinn.

11. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

again, h-beat, aside from belak, thats not correct.

tucker can play. even in this nhl. so can domi. domi is an underrated skater, and his line with eric lindros and chad kilger had been very good (much to the amazement of anyone watching). as a matter of fact, it's been so long since domi fought that the acc went into shock last saturday when he was pasted by ottawa's brian mcgrattan.

this year, quinn has given ample time to young players like matt stajan, alexander steen and kyle wellwood. (quinn initially had wellwood sent down, but admitted today that wellwood will be staying once mats sundin returns this weekend.) all three have been given ice-time in critical situations -- as quinn recognizes that they need the opportunity.

the maple leafs are struggling as of late because they only have one dependable defensive pairing (mccabe-kaberle) and a goaltender (belfour) who is suddenly very inconsistent.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mr. Miler,

No sir, I am not surprised that you and 99 share the same opinion about no-talent defensemen.

YHS

Draft saved Draft deleted