1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread III

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 26, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Windsor? It will never ever survive there.

The OHL draws flies on a good day. Although, this year's Spitfires are young and not so talented.

Anyway, why would someone in Windsor pay to watch the AHL when they have the Spits, Red Wings, Pistons and Lions (insert joke here) to watch throughout the fall, winter and spring?

And believe me, tickets for MAJOR pro sports played in Detroit are readily available in Windsor.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sosueme, do you know what average attendance at Windsor games is?

For that matter, I wonder what the attendance is like in towns outside the GTA,.

I don't know but I bet Huggy could probably give us an idea of attendance at places like Oshawa, Barrie, Peterborough, Sudbury, etc.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

JR, surprsingly the Spits average attendance this year is 3,031.

However, I've been there enough times this year and in the past to know there are NOT 3,000 fans in that barn. But, these numbers will certainly rise when the city builds the team a new arena in time for the 2008-2009 season. Which is another reason the AHL won't fly. People will be flocking to the Spits and their new barn.

Like I said, pro sports are too readily available in Windsor.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Anyone seen this?

The poor bastard.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Looks like it's not just Sharp and the Free Press who don't know hockey in good ol' Hockeytown:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070129/SPORTS0103/701290322/1004/SPORTS

Since when does Todd Bertuzzi play in Phoenix?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's such a big market the Panthers moved there after the lockout.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh my...

[​IMG]

(Thanks Deadspin.)

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

You stay classy puck bunnies.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sitting a few rows down from us at the Brampton games is a real, honest-to-goodness puck rabbit. Think Annie Savoy.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Forget the AHL in Windsor:

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=270635be-e9a5-4e74-bb64-9a718ce808d6&k=14766

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is the same Dave Andrews who ripped MLSE a new one for their handling of the Marlies. Lowest average attendance in the league.

As someone wrote today, just because the Leafs sell out every game doesn't make the suits marketing geniuses.

Draft saved Draft deleted