1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread III

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 26, 2007.

1. and then there's this insulting P.O.S by Bob Smizik in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07028/757434-194.stm

Title: Smizik: Pittsburgh still great with or without the Penguins

Smizik doesn't like hockey, doesn't like the Penguins, doesn't like Mario Lemieux, hates the fans, and doesn't like any member of the media who like the sport, team, and players.

2. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

I agree Brodeur deserves consideration for the Hart Trophy, but if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs and Crosby wins the league scoring title, he has to be MVP. The Pens would not even be close to playoff contention if it weren't for him. Although I'm not one to make the argument that Brodeur is simply a product of New Jersey's lockdown defensive style of play, it does help that he has a solid defensive team in front of him year in and year out. I know he's faced more shots this year than he typically does, but -- whew -- this is tough. I'd still have to go with Crosby.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

It's an easy call: Crosby if he stays healthy.

Anything else and you're trying too hard.

YHS, etc

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Right now I think it's Crosby, but if Brodeur starts dropping some records he could wind up taking the award away. It's not so cut and dried.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not that it's insulting, it's just a stupid column.

You could apply that to almost any city.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

More commas (eight) in this lede, please?

By most indications, the Penguins soon will come to an agreement with the various governmental bodies with which they are negotiating for a new arena, and that will keep them in Pittsburgh for some 30 years, if not longer. Leverage is with the Penguins, and, although they're not likely to make Gov. Ed Rendell, who is brokering the deal, buckle, they'll get more concessions than first believed.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Because, like, it's so, well, important to be, I mean, to the point, and, conscious of, you know, breaks in the sentence that will, you know, bore the reader to, let's say, for lack of a better word, tears.

It's better, I think, and others feel the same way, to get to the crux, or, if you will, the heart of the matter. It's cliched, I realize, but anything less than this, I believe, and wholeheartedly, I might add, and you risk becoming, as someone once said, somewhere, sometime, a complete, and utter parody.

You know?

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You know what? I think there are more working hockey threads on this board now than number of fans who watched the all-star game in the U.S.

9. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Good move for the Flames reacquiring Craig Conroy. He was key in their Cup run in 03-04.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194096&hubname=

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 03,

This thing is as cut as Trevor Berbick and as dry as pemmican. Crosby. That's all.

YHS, etc

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. FoF
    Your esteemed colleague Mr. Cox disagrees. Brodeur. End of discussion.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Petr Prucha, the net. The net, Rangers' forward Petr Prucha. Blueshirts up 4-1 after two in Boston.

Draft saved Draft deleted