1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose Herman Cain fun thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 31, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Herman Cain's sexual harassment history

Well, if they've answered the charge, I think that's better than me posting my thoughts on the matter.

I'm open to hearing the argument that they're right leaning. I don't see it, but maybe I'm wrong. (And who there CEO is isn't evidence. You need to show bias in their reporting.)

I was just surprised Dick -- who I think is fair -- said it as if it's accepted fact.

FOX is right-leaning. MSNBC is left-leaning. I think those are pretty much accepted fact.

I just don't think you can say the same about Politico, one way or the other.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There have been many instances that have been noted on the blogs throughout the years -- for instance, treating Rasmussen as an independent pollster when anyone who has spent two seconds doing anything related to polling knows that isn't the case. I have always found them to be right-leaning in headlines and story selection, but not in a way that they ignore news or distort it the way Fox does.

But, in the journalism game, when your founders are big funders of right-wing causes and your head of operations was a Reagan acolyte, that's a mighty large appearance of conflict at least, the kind that media are supposed to avoid.

3. YankeeFan

Is the CEO also the head of operations, or are you referring to someone else?

Because, the CEO, except in rare cases, rarely involves himself in editorial decisions. While Murdoch may be the exception, I don't think anyone ever accused right-winger Jack Welch of putting a right wing spin on MSNBC.

And, if news organizations ought to avoid these kinds of conflict, then what do you make of Tim Russert and George Stephanopoulos?

They made decisions on what stories got covered, and how. They reported them, and commented on them. That's a much bigger conflict than funding a start up.

And, as far as Politico goes, I'm sure I could point you to just as many right wing blogs bitching about their left wing bias.

I have no dog in this fight. I could give a fuck about Politico.

I just don't think you can declare then o be right-leaning.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.salon.com/2007/05/04/politico_funding/

Politico is owned by the Allbritton family, which owned Riggs Bank, favorite financier of dictators around the globe. Riggs Bank also bought a company owned by the Bush family and employed one of Dubya's uncles. Fred Ryan worked for this family, which is how he came into such a spot of prominence in Reagan's circle.

And I think you're mistaken in the CEO not involving himself in news coverage. If I could post pictures, I would go get the New York Post cover of Kerry choosing Dick Gephardt as his running mate, a tip that came down from Rupert Hisself.

5. YankeeFan

I clearly mentioned Murdoch as the exception to the rule.

He's a newspaper guy. He likes to be involved.

Politico? Seems to me some folks saw an opportunity to make money.

Which, I guess leads to the question of whether or not it does make money. I'm guessing it does, but I don't know for sure.

Meanwhile, Murdoch loses money on the Post (and used to on the Weekly Standard). It's worth it to him.

If the owners of the Politico are losing money, then maybe I'd look at the situation differently.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's been changing his story all over the place today. First he wasn't aware of any settlements. Then he was. Now he's trying to say there's a difference between a "settlement" and an "agreement."

Herman, Herman, Herman. It's never the crime. It's the cover-up.

Na na na na, na na na na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

Re: Herman Cain\'s sexual harassment history

Politico is not \"right-leaning.\" That is absurd.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Started, owned and run by operatives of the Reagan/Bush machine.

Yah, I bet it's the very picture of impartiality.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, by those who think the New York Times leans far right.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And does Godfather Pizza serve Coke or Pepsi?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A multibillion-dollar corporation.

Draft saved Draft deleted