1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose Herman Cain fun thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Story broke this weekend:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2011/10/herman-cain-accused-inappropriate-behavior-former-female-co-workers/44326/

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It didn't hurt Clarence Thomas in the end, though some pin that on Biden. There won't be that level of politicking to protect Cain, who has to face the public, not the Senate.

Perhaps the more apt comparison is Bill Clinton, though I think there's probably a difference between an accusation, which is denied, and a settlement, which the voters may view as a tacit admission. (Fair or not.)

P.S. Before this is dismissed as an attack from the left, note that it broke at Politico, a right-leaning site. Same as the Bachmann migraines, I think, which were also leaked from the right. Unless it's about Romney, I think that most dirt you hear on the candidates right now are not going to come from the Obama camp, but from within the GOP lineup of candidates themselves.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Re: Herman Cain's sexual harassment history

Gotta be the Perry camp. Who benefits most from a Cain collapse?
    The only bigger nightmare to that crowd than a black man in the White House is a black man getting the GOP presidential nomination. There REALLY goes the neighborhood.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Black guy running for office = got to be a sex scandal some where in his past.
    WTF?
    Time for a new line. This one is old.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. White politicians never have sex scandals. This is racist.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The thing that gets me here is that Cain and his staff seem blindsided by this. WTF? It's not like these are new allegations -- these women were paid off years ago after making their complaints against him. Did they somehow think this wouldn't come out?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was all a big misunderstanding after he told two office gals about his 6-9-6 plan.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The quote is "five figure" settlements. Unless those were $99,999 payments, I'd venture more likely $10-20k and that's simply the costs of defense, probably much less. Get it over with, move on. The settlements were probably supposed to be confidential but you have to prove someone leaked it, which is going to be hard, especially after the passage of time.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Or to be honest, Obama and every other candidate in the race. Cain is a fantastic speaker, one who honestly calls it as he sees it. I disagree with pretty much everything he says but the professional politicians look pretty bad in comparison.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What he said. I think we all just get conditioned to think that because of Clarence Thomas.

As far as this one goes, it clearly happened. There were settlements paid. This isn't just innuendo.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Solid.

I guess his new bumper sticker will be :
    WHERE DA WHITE WOMEN AT?

11. Re: Herman Cain's sexual harassment history

These woman were prolly Democrats who favored the current tax strucutre as opposed to Cain's 3-way plan.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We don't know the facts -- sometimes these things are legitimate and sometimes they are not. A lot of companies settle everything to avoid litigation and bad publicity and others only do so with bad cases.

While his people should have known about this and prepared him, everything else is just speculation

Draft saved Draft deleted