1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2021 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 16, 2021.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. If Stroman can give me 180 IP and a 3.50 ERA, I’d be doing pretty well. Ohtani is a stud when he actually plays, he just doesn’t play enough.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pirates' Ke'Bryan Hayes: Aggravates wrist injury

FML.

Of course, I was relying on Hayes for both of my fantasy teams this year. I'm starting to wonder if some sort of surgery and very long-term absence is in his future. Given how slowly they have gone with his rehab, for him to have a setback from just swinging the bat, I think they misdiagnosed the injury the first time around.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

I have him in one of my leagues, but fortunately I’m not relying on him.

4. outofplace

I'm managing in the league here, but my money league is very deep and I've got way too many guys out of the lineup.

5. bigpern23

Guy in my dynasty league dropped Gary Sanchez. Debating whether it’s even worth trying to find a spot for him. I have Willson Contreras is who dead solid behind the plate, and I don’t have any other hitters I would want to drop.

I could drop a reliever such as Treinen or Alvarado, but I’m honestly not sure it’s worth it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  6. outofplace

I wouldn't. You know better than anyone just how terrible he has been this season and most of last year.

7. bigpern23

Boone today said Higashioka has earned more playing time, which is a polite way of saying Sanchez sucks right now.

8. bigpern23

I got offered Machado ($25) for Snell ($8) and Richard Rodriguez ($1). Cap money works and Machado would fill a need a 3B. Is there any reason to think Snell is going to regain his Cy Young form, or is he more likely a 3.50 ERA guy who had one great season? His xFIP is usually around 3.50 and even in his Cy Young 1.89 campaign, his xFIP was 3.60.

I’d be able to keep Machado one more year, or keep Snell and Rodriguez for at least four more years. Thoughts?

9. outofplace

You know the simple rule of thumb about getting the best player in the deal, and Machado is absolutely the best player in the deal. He isn't off to a great start, but if the cap money works and it doesn't totally devastate your pitching staff, I think you have to take that deal.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. bigpern23

Good point.

11. outofplace

I stumble into one of those on occasion. I also just trust hitters more than pitchers and when reality sets in on the Pirates, Rodriguez is going to be traded, most likely into a setup role.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

Pitching is a strength for me right now, too, while 3B is a black hole with Biggio. Slotting Manny into 3B allows me to bench Biggio and start him at 2B, 3B or OF when needed. It gives me some needed flexibility.

Now I need to figure out what to do with Alonso/Guerrero at 1B and Turner/Bichette at SS. Seems like I always end up leaving the wrong guy on the bench in a given day. Had Guerrero and Turner on the bench the other day when they combined for 5 HRs.

Draft saved Draft deleted