1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2018 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 12, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Come on, guys, I was having a little fun poking at OOP. Let's keep it light.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Welp, just in time for the playoffs in a couple of weeks, my closer situation has gone to complete and utter shit.

* Kenley Jansen, out a month with an irregular heartbeat
    * Sean Doolittle, may be back next week, may not be
    * Corey Knebel, can't find the plate, probably lost his job last night
    * Arodys Vizcaino, out with a bum shoulder, even if he comes back, I doubt he gets the role back.

Ugh.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Vizcaino will get the role back. It's not like he was faltering before he got hurt. He has been better than Minter all season. My concern at this point is how long he will be out. Based on the last thing I read, he is another week or two from even throwing at all.

That is an ugly situation. I had Knebel and Hand as my closers in one league. I've got Vizcaino in my other two leagues. It ain't fun when that stuff happens.

I am curious to see what the Brewers do. When Knebel was injured, they went with a committee. Hader is their best reliever, but they seem set on keeping him in his current role. (Which sucks because I have him on all of my teams.)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Trade deadline today, I was sitting in seventh place (top six make the playoffs) and on the fence of whether to try to make a title run or sell off for keepers. Wound up making three trades ...
    1) Traded Justus Sheffield/Willie Calhoun (both 25th rounders next year) for Votto (can't keep)
    2) Syndergaard (20)/Toussaint (25) for J.D. Martinez (NA)/Keuchel (8)/Greinke (NA)
    3) Machado (NA) for Torres (23)

Feeling pretty good that I acquired Votto, JD, Torres, Keuchel and Greinke without having to give up Albies, Acuna, Severino, Newcomb or Buehler.

Machado could bite me, but Torres' keeper value is huge and I really think he's capable of playing just as well down the stretch as Machado.

Almost dumped Stanton/Sale/Chapman for Judge (23rd round next year), or that same trio for Hoskins (22), earlier in the week because I didn't think I had a chance to compete for a title, but that hopefully has changed. Now I'm mostly running out there:
    C) Posey
    1B) Votto
    2B) Albies
    3B) Moustakas
    SS) Torres
    OF) Acuna
    OF) Martinez
    OF) Stanton
    DH) Profar/Murphy

SP) Severino
    SP) Sale
    SP) Newcomb
    SP) Buehler
    SP) Keuchel
    SP) Greinke
    RP) Hader
    RP) Chapman
    RP) LeClerc
    RP) Jeffress

I also have Cano returning soon, Belt, Desmond and Franco who may all contribute.

6. outofplace

Overall, I think those moves work. I don't love Votto this year, but Calhoun also took a big step backward and Sheffield may not make his debut until 2019.

I've got a trade deadline Wednesday. I'm out of contention, so it's time to dump. My problem is finding somebody willing to trade keeper upgrades. We can protect up to eight veterans and five rookies. Veteran salaries go up $5. If they lost their rookie eligibility this season, they go up $3. Rookie keeper salaries stay the same.

I would keep eight of the following nine veterans (with their salaries for next year)
    Austin Meadows $4
    Scooter Gennett $16
    Yoan Moncada $9
    Jesse Winker $9
    Nomar Mazara $16
    Gerrit Cole $28
    Sean Newcomb $6
    Josh Hader $15
    Mike Clevinger $15

My rookies are:
    Luis Urias $1
    Mike Soroka $1
    Mitch Keller $1
    Justus Sheffield $6
    Yordan Alvarez $3

I have Ohtani, too, but I'm not sure I want to keep him for $26. He sits too often as a hitter and the elbow is a big concern.

I got an offer today of Gary Sanchez ($16), Mike Foltyniewicz ($11), prospect Carter Kieboom $1 and two space filling scrubs for Ohtani, Willson Contreras, Justin Smoak and Kevin Gausman. Kaboom is a decent prospect, but not better than the five I have in mind. Heck, I'm not sure he's better than Dylan Cease, who I'd be cutting.

I like Folty at that price, but I'm not sure what to make of Sanchez. I'm just not sure those guys are much of an upgrade for me. Any thoughts?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would do that.

8. outofplace

Why? I guess what I'm really looking for is more perspective on Sanchez. I didn't realize just how bad his numbers were even before the injury.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As you can tell, he's been terrible. I'm generally conservative and slow to give up on talent. Going forward I think he'll be much better than COntreras.

10. outofplace

On that, we agree. Contreras didn't regress as much this year, but he did regress and Sanchez has a higher upside. I'm not keeping the other three guys, so getting Foltynewicz at a cheap price makes some sense. Maybe I can deal a prospect later.

Draft saved Draft deleted