1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2018 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 12, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess it depends how badly you need the pitching upgrade of Cole replacing Soroka. I think we're already seeing some correction with Cole, though I'm sure he'll be fine overall.

I'd probably pass. It weakens your offense and your keeper options due to the higher cost of Cole.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. outofplace

I'm in a 15-team league with two catchers per squad, so I've been hurting there since Castillo got suspended.

I just got an offer of Posey ($21) and Miguel Andujar ($5) for Brandon Nimmo ($6) and Josh Hader ($10). Veterans go up $5 and rookies who lose their rookie eligibility, such as Andujar, go up $3. My guess is Posey is the only player in that deal who wouldn't be kept.

I like the value, but I don't think I have the depth in the outfield or the bullpen. We have saves-plus-holds as a category, so Hader's role doesn't hurt his value much and the kid is an absolute beast. It feels like I'd be fixing one hole by opening up two more, but am I overthinking it?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd probably pass (or counter) as well. Hader is filthy and it wouldn't surprise me to see him move to a starting role next season. If you don't the OF or bullpen depth, it doesn't help you much. Plus, it's easier to get by with subpar production at catcher where anyone not named Gary Sanchez is pretty replaceable.

4. outofplace

True. The only reason I considered is that my catcher options are all backups and they all suck. I've got Hundley there now and Romine is the top option on the wire.

Edit: As if on cue, Nimmo hit two more home runs tonight. Sure, it's in Coors Field, but the kid has been mashing for a month. He's also fun to watch.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would not make that deal. I don't like buying high on Cole and giving up Acuna, but even worse I disagree that Bregman and Machado are a wash. I'll take Machado.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

He floated the idea of Acuna/Soroka for Cole, leaving out Bregman and Machado. Hmmmm ....

7. outofplace

On the plus side, Acuna should be back soon and Soroka stunk it up last night. On the down side, Cole's ERA is above 4.00 over his last seven starts. I think he'll be fine, but he's looking more like a rock solid, ERA between 3.00 and 3.50 with a bunch of strikeouts guy than the Cy Young contender he resembled in his first eight starts.

8. bigpern23

He chickened out on it. Never got him to make the offer.

BTW, you basically just described the pitcher I said Cole would be after he dominated Texas (twice) and San Diego in his first three starts of the season and you were going nuts about how good he is and the Pirates effed up by trading him. Just sayin'. ;)

9. outofplace

The pitcher I described IS very good and the Pirates did fuck up by trading him. He's just not quite as good as he looked in April and early May.

Actually, I shouldn't say they fucked up because I think they achieved their goal in that deal, which was to save money in the short and long term. Protecting the bottom line is always their primary goal, so from that standpoint, it's a bit unfair to the front office guys to say they fucked up.

Also, look at where that "great offseason" some folks here were talking about has landed the Pirates. They are below .500 and fading.

Sorry for the tangent. Let's get this back to fake baseball where it belongs!

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

R
    I'm sure Mccutcheon would have them 10 games over.

11. outofplace

Seriously, take it to the baseball thread. I'll happily educate you there.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're a horses ass on any thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted