1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-promo (or very nearly so) covers

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Hustle, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Our EE has begun thinking about going to an all- (or mostly promo) Sunday front. Like two stories max - the rest is a wide rail, or teases to inside.

She had a few examples printed out, but I wasn't a huge fan of anything that was up there.

Does anyone know of this or have any examples, good or bad?

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I went to a design seminar this spring where they touted the "all-refer" front as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Personally, I was really turned off by it. The examples they showed were REALLY busy, usually with some awful use of color as well...

Still, it got some good feedback from the other people at the seminar, so maybe I'm missing something wonderful.

3. I'm sorry to hear that, Hustle. I think it's a shitty idea.

Here's what the Fort Worth Star-Telegram recently did (the redesign is on the left) and the thread link.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/40843/

[​IMG]

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think the Baltimore Sun does it for its Monday fronts. I liked it, but I could see why some wouldn't.

5. I couldn't find a Sunday edition anywhere ... I'll make sure to check the newseum on Sunday.

I don't mind the one below too much. A bit top heavy and cluttered.

They did do a good job explaining all the changes, of course I'm a newspaper nerd. Not sure how much the public cares.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/about/bal-redesign-new,0,5888958.htmlstory

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. I'm crossing threads here but I didn't see anything about that in the rulebook anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Bakersfield was one of the examples she posted, and it was really the only one I could get into. I had not seen Balto or Fort Worth until now, but they are helpful...thanks.

I have a feeling this is shit running downhill, so to speak, but she is pairing me with someone who knows nothing of Quark to put together some design ideas. And supposed there will be multiple teams of us, too. (I have that feeling since some of the other examples she posted were papers of our size, within our chain.)

But at the same time, it's a chance to do something lasting and do something to really affect some change. So I'm taking it seriously. (Well, that and she's my boss.)

I am, however, also concerned that I'm going to go too overboard and do stuff we just don't have the staff to handle - multiple cutouts, graphics, etc.

But thanks again for the help, it gives me some idea of where I should or shouldn't be going.

8. brian griffin

brian griffin Member

I'm actually a fan of the no-story A1. Before my paper redesigned, we did a bunch of focus groups and the one thing the readers wanted was more news on the front. We showed them examples with no stories, stories and a rail, and no rail. The focus groups liked the papers with no stories the best because they felt they were getting more news. However, our reporters complained about not getting their stories on the front, and we settled on a rail instead.

Think about it like a web site home page. No web site starts their stories on the front. They give you a bunch of teases and make you click on the story you want to read. So why can't an A1 do the same thing? Tell the readers all the big stories inside the paper and let the reader decide which stories to read?

There are a lot of really crappy designs out there where a no-story A1 doesn't work. But when done right, it can be very effective.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Hustle, as a Va. guy, you might want to take a look at the Lynchburg paper. About a year ago, they went to an all-promo cover one day a week -- probably Sunday -- but I haven't checked lately to see if they've kept with it. Also, the Daily Press sports section does that with its Monday section.

I can see both arguments. Haven't decided one way or another, but I probably wouldn't complain too much if my editor decided to do it. The news is still out front, but instead of eight grafs, you get two or three, or an extended cutline. Either way, the reader gets the news.

I mentioned this on another thread....fewer readers spend time reading the entire paper these days. They want their information in a quick and efficient manner. Apparently, they've got no time. That's why an all-promo front would work, I think. It gives them quick-hitting information without having to sift through 15 inches of text. For the readers that still want to read the entire story, flip to the inside and read it. Seems like I just talked myself into backing the all-promo front. It's a win-win situation for the readers.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I got some solid ideas from you guys, so thanks again.

I have one version complete. I'll post it on here when (if) I have time in the office tomorrow... I go back and forth on whether I like it or whether it's a complete embarrassment to my moderate designing skills. (Either way, I'm certain those in charge will find it too risky.)

I have a second idea that I'll also get working on when (if) I have time tomorrow.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've had a change of heart on posting the pages for now. Once I get a couple of them done and they make a decision, perhaps I'll post them then.

Draft saved Draft deleted