1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All My Children/One Life to Live - Canceled!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

"ABC evolves daytime TV with the start of two new shows -- 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution' -- and the end of two iconic soap operas -- 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'

"All My Children" and "One Life to Live" will end in September 2011 and January 2012, respectively. In a release, ABC says the "series will sunset in a manner that honors viewers" with creative show legacies."

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources/inside_station/station_info&id=8072960&rss=rss-wls-article-8072960

I watched AMC for years and even though I haven't seen it a long time, I am so sad to hear it's coming to an end. The other day I was wondering about the viability of daytime soaps and I guess I've got my answer now.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've been slowly dying off for the past few years. Guiding Light's (and then As The World Turns, they were my mom's two favorites) cancellation really opened my eyes on that.

Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful might last a while, but they're the only ones with that possibility.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course, this probably has nothing to do with Disney-owned Soapnet going off the air in favor of some other Disneyrehash2 channel sometime this year....

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

There was a time for a solid 2 years in college when I watched One Life to Live.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I told my mom about this threat last night. She asked for the number to call and save. She's going to be heartbroken.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In the way that TV news ensured the slow death of newspapers, women entering the workforce ensured the slow death of soap operas. Not nearly as many full-time housewives as a captive audience. And the secondary market of college students skipping class to watch has apparently been drained by the Net.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I for one am saddened by the thought of a world in which Jed Allen cannot find work.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Chew and The Revolution!?! So a ABC is going to air programs devoted to Red Man and red coats?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's a typo. It should read The Crew and The Revolution. Apparently soap opera ratings are so crappy that ABC would rather broadcast MLS team recap shows.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

The most prominent of his many roles on a number of different soaps was Don Craig on "Days of Our Lives," which surely must also not be long for this world.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So what survives longest -- Blockbuster, Borders, FYE or the stories?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet, ABC is televising shows about the Columbus Crew and New England Revolution of Major League Soccer!

Draft saved Draft deleted