1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All MLB-Son Team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Boots' thread and the fact that there are so many legacies in baseball nowadays prompted this thread. I'm curious to see how good a team of just the sons would be. Here's a stab and a good website to argue from: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/family/fam2.shtml

Also be good to see a roster of just those who are still active.

All-time
    1B Prince Fielder/Adam LaRoche
    2B Roberto Alomar
    SS Dale Berra?
    3B Buddy Bell
    C Sandy Alomar
    LF Brian McRae?
    CF Ken Griffey, Jr.
    RF Barry Bonds
    P Todd Stottlemyre

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would say LF should be Moises Alou.

3. That's the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember his name ... I was googling Expos manager when you posted that ...

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You think he had a better career than Alomar?

5. What I find interesting, because I followed baseball more a decade ago than I do now, is there's so many players now who have dads that we watched 10 years ago, or less.
    Tim Raines, Jr.
    Garry Matthews, Jr.
    Tony Pena
    Jerry Hairston, Jr.
    Cecil Fielder
    Brian McRae
    Tony Gwinn
    Josh Barfield

And a few more, not including players who've been around for a while like the Boone brothers, though Jose Cruz Jr. could probably go on that list.

6. There's got to be a better shortstop ... Buck, you should know one.

7. David Bell played some shortstop ..

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, I think so. Boone played almost 1,000 more games than Alomar Jr., who was injured a lot. I think that gives him the edge.

Alomar was a 6-time All-Star, Boone 4. Alomar was a much better hitter, but Boone was a much better defender. Boone won seven Gold Gloves, Alomar had one.

Boone played on some damn good Phillies teams in the 1970s and 1980s, while Alomar played on some damn good Indians teams in the 1990s.

Pretty close, but Boone played in 2,225 games at catcher in 19 seasons -- Alomar played 1,318 in 19 seasons. That's a huge gap.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't Brett Boone play some SS?

10. Not according to the almanac.

11. Add Tony Armas, Jr. as a pitcher. I don't think there's a lot more of those, either.

12. I nominate Vance Law to replace Dale Berra at SS.

Draft saved Draft deleted