1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All in the family series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Apr 26, 2007.

1. I have decided to start a series featuring coaches who coach their children or siblings who play on the same team. However, I am struggling with how to make the series come across in the paper. Any ideas, tips?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You have different issues and try to highlight them with the different stories.

For some, the main concern is that coach's kid is being favored -- getting to take all the shots, play QB, etc. and the reaction among teammates, the community. In some places this is a hot, hot issue.

In some cases, the coach is harder on his kid than anyone else. What is that like for the kid, the family? Do they have to separate coach time vs. dad time? This should be more about parenting than coaching.

Also, kids with parents as coaches tend to have a big advantage. "Coaches' kids" are sought after in sports like basketball. Why is this so much of an advantage even over other kids who may work hard?

I think with each story you could break about a quote from the kid and/or parents.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Your lede:

NOWHERE, U.S.--It's called nepotism.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If you are going to right about All in the Family, make sure you use Archie's line about the pecking order of the races...

Meathead: If you're No. 1, what's the make Jefferson?
    Archie: Well, he's No. 2
    Meathead: Then what does that make the Puerto Ricans, No. 3?
    Archie: Well, no see, they are No. 4 because you still have the chinks and the japs, 3A and 3B....

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but you are one dumb meathead."

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Archie: "Back in my day, they wasn't called Chicanos or Anglo-Americans or Afro-Americans, we was all Americans so if a guy was a jig or a spick, it was his own business."

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Make sure and use dingbat fonts in the story.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whatever you do -- and this should be obvious by now -- don't use the phrase "All in the Family" anywhere in on or near the stories.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Or Family Affair

11. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Archie: "You're the one that needs an American history lesson, professor. You don't know nothing about Lady Liberty, standing out there in the harbor with her torch held high, screaming out to all the nations of the world, "send me your poor, your deadbeats, your filthy." And all the nations sent them in here, and they come swarming in like ants, your Spanish P.R.'s from the Caribouan, there, your Japs and your Chinamen, your coloreds, your Krauts, your Italians, your Hebs, and your English fags ... they all come in here. And now they're happy, because they're all free to live -- in their own, separate sections -- where they feel safe. And they bust your head when you go in there. That's what makes America great, buddy!"

Oh, and don't call it Family Ties, either.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Facts of Life might work, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted