1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All he did was take cash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 4, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

TULSA, Okla. -- A former Oklahoma football player who was kicked off the team with former quarterback Rhett Bomar says he believes his dismissal was unfair.
    Former offensive lineman J.D. Quinn and Bomar were permanently dismissed from the team the day before the start of practice last fall for taking money for hours they did not work at a Norman auto dealership.
    Quinn, who transferred to Montana, told the Tulsa World he didn't understand why he and Bomar were kicked off the team Aug. 2.
    "All I did was take cash," Quinn said. "I didn't break any laws and I get kicked off the team, but there's people on the team that are breaking laws and failing drug tests and stuff like that, and there's nobody getting kicked off the team for that type of stuff."
    Quinn declined to provide details of his allegations about other players, but said it was not necessarily about players on the OU team.
    "I was just saying around the country. I wasn't saying it in the context of Oklahoma. There's just people I've heard of doing things."
    Bomar, now at Sam Houston State, declined comment through a university spokesman.
    OU football coach Bob Stoops also declined comment, other than associate athletic director Kenny Mossman saying, "the university has turned over all of our material to the NCAA and we stand by that dialogue."
    OU goes before the NCAA Infractions Committee in Indianapolis on April 14 to defend itself on an allegation that the university failed to adequately monitor the employment of athletes at the Norman car dealership.
    A university investigation determined Quinn was paid $8,137.17 and Bomar $7,406.88 beyond the hours they actually worked.
    The NCAA forbids student-athletes from receiving benefits that are not also available to non-student-athletes, including benefits from off-campus employment.
    Both players were ordered to pay restitution to a charity of their choice as terms of their reinstatement and both lost one season of eligibility.
    Quinn, of Garland, Texas, said he donated $5,000 to the Dallas chapter of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and will donate the remainder of his restitution to the same foundation when he gets the money.

2. The position has its own mad logic.

3. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

Would this really be the type of story you'd try to go through the SID for? What do you say? "Yeah, umm hi, I'm from umm Tulsa World, and umm I'd like to talk to Rhett Bomar about umm what a cheater he is?" Do you really expect the SID to put you in contact that way? There are other ways of getting the guy's phone number than trying to go through the U. Especially if the guy used to play for the team you cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted