1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Hail the Big Red

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Mar 3, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Might be a 16 seed, but Ivies do not do play-in games.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Congrats to my favorite neighboring school on the bid. We'll still destroy you guys in football.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Webster knows I share his enthusiasm about this development...

I wore a Cornell jersey for several months when I was 18, before a nice coach named Mike Dement, who had a bit of a Pete Rose haircut, pulled me aside one day and told me that I plain sucked at basketball. He was happy to let guys with actual talent beat up on me as a practice dummy for a bit longer with no promises about when the axe might officially come chopping down--picture a slightly taller version of Rudy in short shorts, which gave me some practice value--but the hint was a bit more than a hint in this case. It might have been the way he pointed and laughed maniacally (not really... he wasn't a bad guy).

If by some fluke I had stuck--and a good friend did and actually started by junior year, although he had more size and developed into a better player than I have in my genes--I would have enjoyed a seat at the end of the bench the next year to watch my team get waxed by Arizona by 50 the last time Cornell made the tournament.

I am guessing it will be a 13 seed. Wonder who they'll play in the second round.

4. They're rockin' in The Royal Palm!

5. The Big Ragu

That was beyond impressive... If you had given me a Johnny's reference (with an occasional Wednesday group therapy night at Dunbar's), I'd have kissed your ring and fetched you a hot truck sandwich.

6. Because of my in-laws, who lived in Ithaca, I spent time every Christmas there, which also meant my birthday, of which I spent 11 consecutive wandering collegetown and toasting myself at the Palm in the middle of the afternoon. A great, great campus joint.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yea, I would have probably been more impressed by a Mano's/State Diner for their hangover reference, but the Royal Palm will do. Tons of actual great places to eat in Ithaca as well.

8. Alas, I hear Pete Thamel has already checked into a B&B out by the Triphammer Mall.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

While the Triphammer Mall still exists, it's on its last legs. The Shops at Ithaca Mall (old Pyramid Mall) across the street trumps it.

10. That's a pretty low trump, though, as I recall.

11. The Big Ragu

After this reference... Kind of interesting that Pete Thamel wrote the Harvard/Tommy Amaker/recruiting standards story that was in the Times yesterday.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu progressed further than I did. When I entered Cornell, I was a 6'1", 145 pound point forward. Somehow, I thought that time as a 7th man on a decent high school team qualified me to play Division 1 hoops. I got cups of coffee with the JV over a couple of years, but by the time that I grew 3 inches and put on 40 pounds, I was already in law school.

I lived with a bunch of the guys on the team, often played pickup and practiced with the team if they needed a body. Over an adult beverage one day senior year, Coach Dement said of my talent -- "Webster, you'd be a heck of a player if you were taller, faster and stronger. Way faster. And if you shot better."

Steve Robinison, current UNC assistant and former Tulsa and FSU coach, was an assistant on the last Cornell team to make the NCAAs. Great guy.

For 4 years, I broke my Yom Kippur fast with Hot Truck. Good stuff.

My junior and senior years, I was a teaching assistant and had early morning classes on Friday. My walk to the ILR school took me by Dunbar's -- the smell of cheap beer and vomit was never a good start to the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted