1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Hail the Big Red

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Far above Cayuga's waters, Cornell clinched its first Ivy League title since the 1987-1988 season. At present, the Big Red is the only team in the NCAA tourney. Which probably is our only chance to win.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So where does Cornell end up in the bracket seeding? I don't know much about them. Are they facing a play-in game, possibly?

3. Webster

Nah -- I'm guessing a 13 or so. They didn't look that awful when they lost to Duke or 'Cuse. Of course, no real quality wins.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And all along I thought Cornell was a member of the Patriot League.

Oh wait, that's an improvement!

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

One of the most interesting things about Cornell is that its core is comprised mostly of sophomores, including three starters and two immediately off the bench. One of the starters is Ryan Wittman, the son of former NBA player and current T-wolves coach Randy Wittman.
    Penn will be better next season after a down year but the Big Red is here to stay.
    All hail the Big Red indeed. It gave Duke fits in late December and is a much better defensive team two months later.
    Given the right first-round matchup ....

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

When was the last time Penn or Princeton didn't win the Ivy League? it seems like they win it every year.

Congrats Cornell.

7. Football_Bat

Kidding aside, I see Cornell as a 15 against a Kansas / Wisconsin /Tennessee /Texas. Sorry, but other than maybe (just maybe) UW, notafuckingchance.

8. Webster

I think that Penn or Princeton has been the conference's rep in the tourney for the past 20 years, but there may have been other schools which were co-champs who lost the playoff game for the bid.

At one point when I was at Cornell, they not won a road game at Penn or Princeton in over 20 years.

9. Football_Bat

Brown has gotten in at least once (maybe '89, too lazy to look it up).

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Last team other than Princeton or Penn to win Ivy Title... Cornell 1987-88.

2000-01..Yale tied wth Penn and Princeton, lost playoff to Penn

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm not hailing Big Red ever. Unless it's to go to Jenny Craig.

12. The Ivies? In the play-in?
    My dear young man, it simply is not done.

Draft saved Draft deleted